PDA

View Full Version : Another gliding accident

poetpilot
22nd Feb 2003, 07:33
Local teletext reporting 1 dead and 1 injured at Camphill, Derbyshire, after a glider "collided" with a cable launcing another aircraft.

Very sad, so sorry to hear of this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2788291.stm
------------------------------------------------

Glider pilot dies in crash

The pilot of a glider has died in a crash in Derbyshire.
Firefighters attending the scene near Great Hucklow near Castleton said one person had died and a passenger was taken to hospital.

The accident happened at Camphill airfield, close to the Derbyshire and Lancashire Gliding Club at about 1430 GMT on Friday.

It is thought the glider hit a wire which was being used to winch another glider into the air.

Passenger cut free
-------------------------
A spokesman for Derbyshire Fire Service said: "We attended to reports of two people trapped following the glider crash.

"One person was released and taken to hospital, another was given CPR by firefighters but was later confirmed dead."

A 64-year-old passenger was trapped in the wreckage for around 45 minutes, before firefighters were able to cut him free, he said.

The injured man was then taken to hospital in Manchester.

A spokeswoman for Derbyshire Police said: "We now know that one glider was involved in the incident.

Second crash
==========
"It seems to have collided with the wire used to winch another plane into the air and crashed into a field," said a spokeswoman.

"The British Gliding Association and air accident investigators will carry out a full investigation into the accident.

"Police will prepare a file for the High Peak coroner."

The spokeswoman confirmed that the passenger was not thought to have life-threatening injuries.

In May, 1999, three people died following a mid-air collision between two gliders at the same location.

squawking 7700
23rd Feb 2003, 16:49
A very sad accident.

If one 'good' thing comes of this, let it be a salutary lesson to all power pilots who disregard gliding site locations, this is what
happens when an aircraft flies into a winch cable.

I've seen many aircraft transit overhead winch launch gliding sites at less than 1500ft, indeed one instructor had an aircraft come underneath him while on the winch launch.

Squawking 7700

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Feb 2003, 18:45
Last week's accident was only a few miles from where I was flying the Chippy. This one is at my old gliding site. Any names yet??

SSD

poetpilot
24th Feb 2003, 07:39
SSD, I phoned a friend Saturday night as I too have friends there. Happily for me, it wasn't anyone that I knew (doesnt make it any less sad of course). The winch driver that you & I both know wasn't at the controls from what I heard.

I didnt note any names but if you want, I can pass over a phone number for you to get in touch with.