PDA

View Full Version : Operational restrictions at EGSC (Marshalls' Cambridge)?

25F
20th Feb 2003, 11:00
Us Cambridge residents know you can get an empty 744 in and out of Marshall's, but some of us are wondering what restrictions the runway length places on what services Marshall's can offer, in particular with respect to large aircraft.

Does it mean for instance that some forms of flight testing are not possible? (I.e. you can't test it fully-laden? Does anybody ever want to do that?)

Does it also mean that if the base for an aircraft is, say, in the Middle East, it can't fly there in one go but has to stop off and refuel en route?

And finally, are there aircraft that cannot operate into or out of EGSC? The Classic? Are most large military aircraft relative STOL by comparison?

Hope none of these questions seem too stupid. Enquiring Cantabs want to know.

eagerbeaver
20th Feb 2003, 14:13
the main reason i believe is the runway length which is 1956m. This is a huge constraint of large aircraft at or close to their all up weight.
Knowing cambridge (and i know it well) noise is an issue.
Pity really as its an excellent facility.

25F
21st Feb 2003, 00:12
Thanks eagerbeaver, I was really trying to get some facts and figures: e.g. can you get a fully-tanked 744 out? Is there anything for which the runway is too short? And so on.

411A
21st Feb 2003, 01:27
Was once asked by a rather junior Captain whether it would be possible to operate a TriStar ferry flight non-stop to Bangor.
I suggested that yes, it was possible, but not very smart as the runway at Cambridge is rather slippery when wet, and if an abort was required, it could be embarassing.
Glad he decided to tech stop at Shannon. Smart move.