PDA

View Full Version : NATS Forum ... Stay or Go ???

PPRuNe Radar
20th Feb 2003, 09:55
There is some muttering and debate as to whether we need keep the NATS Forum or not.

There are a large number of posters who discuss NATS affairs in the public ATC Forum. This could be because they are not members of the NATS Forum, or it could be that they are reticent to post there.

I think it is up to all of us to decide whether we need this facility or not. If we don't wish to make use of it, then I am sure Danny will welcome the increased server space.

I won't give any party line, it's your Forums so the decision is yours. I will leave the poll open till the end of the month and then see what everyone thinks.

Regards

PR

Arkady
21st Feb 2003, 13:51
Private Forums exist for "in house" debate on topics considered inappropriate or uninteresting to the whole industry. If the NATS Forum is under used then it would seem NATS ATCOS feel that most of what concerns them is appropriate or of interest to the wider ATC community (whether the wider ATC community agrees is another matter).

When the NATS forum was proposed the main objection was that it would detract from the ATC Issues page. This has most definately not occured, so keeping it open should be down to the NATS forum members themselves. One day an issue may arise for which a separate forum is appropriate and if we lose it now we won't get it back in a hurry.

I say keep the NATS forum as long as it is not causing problems for the Gods on Pprune Olympus but the real acid test will be to see how many votes (for or against) this poll gets on the NATS page itself.

And Traffic Traffic was dead against a NATS forum which is reason enough to keep it.

IThink
21st Feb 2003, 16:25
Well said Arkady

This vote is irrelevant here - vote on the NATS forum - where the same poll is running.

Spitoon
21st Feb 2003, 23:05
Why is it irrelevant here?

It would be (was) nice to know the debates that are going on in NATS even though I don't work for them.

CUNIM
23rd Feb 2003, 16:14
As one or two of you know, I worked in NATS as an operational controller for around seventeen years at airfields as well as at LATCC. I presume that I would not be allowed to be part of that private forum as I am now retired and control a consultancy company. I have always thought that the birth of this forum was a bit of a shame to those of us not in the club.

Lon More
27th Feb 2003, 11:49
Arkady Actually, inhis last post TT was FOR a NATS Forum.

Arkady
28th Feb 2003, 08:01
My mistake. That must have been one of the posts of his I ignored.

Oops.

unwise
1st Mar 2003, 21:46
For what it's worth I think we should wind up the Nats forum. ATC Issues is a far better area in which to air our opinions and concerns.

Just Passing Another Day......

23c
5th Mar 2003, 17:58
Perhaps the NATS forum is not well used because folk like me who have tried to join are for whatever reason unable to even though we have provided all the necessary details!

Arkady
6th Mar 2003, 08:00
Good point. Is there anybody else out there with the same problem?

VectorLine
6th Mar 2003, 15:10
I have tried twice to gain entry to the NATS forum.
EarlyGo has not responded to either of my emails or personal messages.

I had come to the conclusion that the NATS forum had been closed down already and earlygo had taken his early go and gone!

eastern wiseguy
6th Mar 2003, 20:15
I have to agree with both 23c and the other posters ..I was originally subscribed to NATS but following the demise of my original computer I have been unable to persuade eg to let me back on ..personal messages and a plea on this.....I feel it should be closed and the bandwidth donated elswhere...plenty of space here to air views anyway :D

23c
8th Mar 2003, 20:55
I have obviously struck a chord with some of you guys. Perhaps the 'NATS forum is really a 'Swanwick' forum and not accessable to the other (i.e. airfield) NATS employees.

AyrTC
9th Mar 2003, 09:30
:confused:
I can't get into the forum either.

AyrTC

PPRuNe Radar
13th Mar 2003, 13:51
There have been problems with Early Go and their email account. This appears to have resulted in many requests disappearing into the ether. If anyone is still waiting for entry to the NATS Forum, then please email me with your details and between us we can sort things out.

I have taken account of the votes and the points made. At the moment, there is no pressure from PPRuNe management to give up the bandwidth. In particular I note the comments that although not heavily used at the moment, the Forum may have a future use depending on how NATS pans out in the future.

On that basis, I will not take any steps at the moment to close the Forum. I do however reserve the right to move topics which don't appear to have any impact on ATC outside NATS into the NATS Forum. Other NATS issues which do have an impact or might benefit from outside comment (e.g shift start times and OPM recently) will usually be allowed to remain and the debate developed.

Thanks for taking the time to vote and comment. Your feedback has been useful.

PPRuNe Radar
13th Mar 2003, 15:20
eastern wiseguy

Log on to the NATS Forum is nothing to do with your PC ... old or otherwise. It is done through your user name and is an internal process to the PPRuNe server.

If you were able to access the Forum before, then there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to now.

Drop me a quick line (and anyone else requiring entry) with your brief details i.e. Name and staff number. Once that's checked then entry is relatively easy to enable.

Thanks for your patience.

23c
14th Mar 2003, 18:19
Dear PPrune Radar

I have just tried to send you my details to join the NATS Forum and guess what? Your E-Mail box is full and will not accept any messages - please try again later- it says. I don't think so, it is all just too much like hard work!:confused: :confused: :confused:

PPRuNe Radar
14th Mar 2003, 18:47
23c

So sorry I can't be on here to empty the thing H24 :D You can also use email you know. Just click on my profile and then click on the email option.

As you might expect, there have been a few folks messaging me for entry. In addition to the usual run of the mill PMs which appear every day.

However, not trying again is entirely your choice. I can assure you it doesn't bother me one way or another. Hopefully you feel better getting it off your chest though ;)

spekesoftly
14th Mar 2003, 22:29
PPRuNe Radar,

I mean no disrespect, but why have a vote, and then totally disregard the result? In your initial post, you stated:-

Quote - "I won't give any party line, it's your Forums so the decision is yours."

The vote has gone heavily in favour (circa 3 to 1) of closing the NATS forum, and yet you plan to keep it open. :confused:

I'm neither anti nor pro the NATS forum, and therefore chose not to vote, but I would like to understand the rationale behind the exercise.

PPRuNe Radar
14th Mar 2003, 22:50
No offence taken and more than happy to explain. There are also votes in the NATS Forum which need to be taken into account. These are not privy to this Forum.

In addition, the users of the NATS Forum who post in there and use it have also convinced me that they see a need for it. Perhaps not a desperate need right now and perhaps not creating a lot of traffic, but one which they would like to be available for future debates behind closed doors.

In light of that need and the fact that there is no 'party line' from PPRuNe to free up the Forum for other uses currently, we will continue to provide the facility for those who wish to use it.

If there had been a total rejection of the facility across the board then the decision would be different. But for the reasons stated, the wishes of those affected most by it (i.e. those who have or want access and can post in it)
have a higher weight on this occasion.

Regards

PR

spekesoftly
14th Mar 2003, 23:09
PR,

Thank you for the full, and very prompt!, explanation.

Regards, speke