PDA

View Full Version : Number one pilot exporting country

middlepath
19th Feb 2003, 21:37
Can any one guess which of the following country is number one in exporting pilots.
Australia, Canada,UK,USA,South Africa, South America,
New Zealand.

I said Australia.

Pelican
19th Feb 2003, 21:42
It's not on your list, but I would say The Netherlands. Otherwise, yes, Australia.

p.s. You may find that South America is not a country.

View From The Ground
19th Feb 2003, 21:47
An innocent mistake I am sure but your rebuff made me chuckle..thanks Pelican!

middlepath
19th Feb 2003, 22:04
I am aware South America is not a country. Since the amount of pilot export is so insignificant I combined the continent.

planepeanuts
19th Feb 2003, 23:03
This is a productive forum - what was the question again?

start sequence 312
19th Feb 2003, 23:53
Sorry middlepath, but there are several Brazilian pilots working around the world. It isn't a large number as Aussies, Brits and Americans, however it isn't so insignificant as you figured out. Unfortunately.

Airbubba
20th Feb 2003, 02:24
The Australians have flooded the expat market in the years since 1989. AFAP talked many of them into faxing in their resignations to teach Bob Hawke a lesson.

Brits and Canadians leave home to avoid taxes and bad weather - to them Dubai is a garden spot. It is all relative, I suppose...

Americans will generally go overseas only if they can't find a job at home since wages are perhaps twice what they are in most other countries. As soon as something opens up back in the good ol' U. S. of A., they're coming back.

BlueEagle
20th Feb 2003, 05:11
My guess is New Zealand followed by Canada?

compressor stall
20th Feb 2003, 06:34
Are we looking at per capita, per CPL/ATP licence holders or just a total?

middlepath
20th Feb 2003, 07:07
I was looking purely the number of pilots.

Bodie
20th Feb 2003, 07:09
Americans will generally go overseas only if they can't find a job at home since wages are perhaps twice what they are in most other countries

I was under the impression that pilots in the US were quite poorly paid. I deduced this when reading a thread about US commuter pilots being eligible for welfare support. Is this the case?

I'm not sure which country exports the most pilots, but I suppose it would be the country that has the poorest opportunities of work. Doesn’t narrow it down though...

propaganda
20th Feb 2003, 08:38
Middlepath,

I agree with you there's more Aussie's oversea's since 89 .

unfortunately, It's rather a oneway street no jobs in Aus even

with there rapidly expanding VB.....................

But let's welcome our antipodean cousins with open arms !!!!!!

:} In Coming;)

fmgc
20th Feb 2003, 08:40
I wouldn't be surpirsed to hear that it was UK pilots. Afte all we are very much in demand all round the world due to our superior abilities!

:ouch:

Doodlebug
20th Feb 2003, 09:19
Batten down the hatches, this should be fun! :}

middlepath
20th Feb 2003, 09:21
Besides superior abilities, UK licence is the most widely accepted licence . Perhaps ex-colonies are familiar with UK system, correct me if any other reason.

compressor stall
20th Feb 2003, 10:09
I would say that there are more UK pilots flying OS than any other.

middlepath
20th Feb 2003, 11:00
if Uk pilots goes out others will fill the gap in UK.

pilot31
20th Feb 2003, 21:52
UK market is closed for foreigners by Licence ( no validation and convertion are available ) and work permit while UK guys always ahead of you in the countries with free access for others ( mafia).
Same situation is in USA, Canada, Australia etc.
I think we all fly the same equipment and hold ICAO Licences so have the same qualification. And would be more fairly to have equal rights to work everywhere. Only in this case the salary will be about the same in any part of the world and we will have the equal money and respect for same work. :rolleyes:

Sheep Guts
20th Feb 2003, 22:13
It would have to be the U.S. if its on numbers. Why? Well there are way more pilots per captita and especially now with furloughs occurring in the Majors etc. , its only going to get worse. Also with whatever Bush decides to do will affect it also.

Prolly Canada, Australia,U.K. and Kiwi Land then countries in Europe and South America after.

Hey its guess

:)

The most useable Licence overseas is the FAA ATP I have it and 4 others Oz ,NZ, and Jamiacan. My FAA has allways got me the job O/S. :cool:

BlueEagle
20th Feb 2003, 22:14
pilot31 A couple of points, if you want your flying experience assessed for issue of a UK licence you have to present your log book, existing licence, a fat cheque and a correctly filled out form to the UK CAA, they will then tell you exactly what is required of you in order that you can be issued with a UK licence. Depending on your experience and your existing licence that requirement will vary between sitting every exam and test to having to do Air Law and flying tests, (including an IR test), only.
I have flown in many different countries and the only licence validations I have received have been temporary ones whilst awaiting the issue of a local licence.
If you were to check with UK airlines you will find that they currently employ a considerable cross section of nationalities, all you require is the right of abode/work.

Any country that chooses to employ foreign pilots also has the right to choose from the range of nationalities that offer themselves for work, some may prefer the UK licence whilst others may prefer the USA FAA system. If you always find UK licence holders ahead of you then you have got the wrong licence for that country, take issue with the country, not the UK pilots.

In a Utopian existance all world economies would be the same, all people would be paid the same for whatever job they chose, there would be a world-wide 'going rate'. Unfortunately we don't live in Utopia, your worth as a pilot in one country will be vastly different to your worth in another.

The idea that we should have a global standard for licence issue is good, when all countries teach and examine to the same agreed standard, still some way off I think?:D

Airbubba
21st Feb 2003, 02:10
>>I wouldn't be surpirsed to hear that it was UK pilots. Afte all we are very much in demand all round the world due to our superior abilities! <<

Yep, as long as they don't require a spelling test, you'll get the job...

fantum farter
21st Feb 2003, 03:02
So today where in the world is the best for dosh(no questions asked-you understand)

or should this go to jet blast for a serious answer.

No Drugs
No Women
No Arms
No Nothing (girlfriend gets the hump!!!!)

FlyingIrishman
21st Feb 2003, 14:47
Having had quite a few flights with Lufthansa, I've never come across an Australian or British pilot, is there any reason why there aren't any in Germany or was it just me not getting flights crewed by them?

733driver
21st Feb 2003, 15:39
FlyingIrishman,

well, I guess there are a few pilots from around the world flying for Lufthansa. Including Brits and Aussies. Most of them would propably have german roots, a german wife or something along that line.

Why? Off course you have to be fluent in German to fly for the German flag carrier! Donīt speak french? No job with Air France! Donīt speak spanish? No job with Iberia! Donīt speak English? Of course no job with BA or Aer Lingus!

I guess this is true for most long established, major carriers not only in europe but around the world.

middlepath
21st Feb 2003, 18:14
Any candidate to LH has to pass a DLR test in German and be at or below age 33 which most candidate fails to do so.

Another thought, why so little German expat pilots abroad? Reason: language problem? food problem? cultural problem, whatelse is preventing them to move outside Germany?

KADS
21st Feb 2003, 23:09
Per capita??? I'm gonna it hard and go for an outsider!!!! Sweden, per capita and per trained pilot has gotto be it. So many government subsidised pilots, all around the world.....

Sweden is my answer!!! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :=

middlepath
22nd Feb 2003, 09:06
Agreed, seen many Swedish abroad and they are quite easy to get along.

Anti Skid On
25th Feb 2003, 10:46
It could be Kiwi's - the 733 jocks at Freedom Air are reportedly the lowest paid jet drivers in the western world (FO's on NZ$30K or Ģ10K in proper money). Our clubs CFI has just been head hunted for Malaysia, there are loads of Kiwi's in Ozzie (Trans Tasman agreement) and the UK (having UK passports helps). There have also been some recent CPLer's going to southern Africa to get time in local ops.

(PS if I am right do I win a prize?)