PDA

View Full Version : PPrune to Popham again? Sun 29th June

Irv
19th Feb 2003, 10:03
Our resident archivist and photographer was particularly pleased with the PPRUNE fly in to Popham last year, as there was an interesting mix of aircraft that day. Has been nagging me to get it happening again. He cornered me by the airfield diary on Monday, so there is now a new fly-in on the Popham calendar for the last Sunday in June (29th). I'd been wanting to get any Uk based S.A. pilots together too for a day, so I'm putting the date on the African section too

SUNDAY JUNE 29th - Popham (EGHP). That's most of what you need to know, but any interest? I might need to give an idea of numbers possible for catering 'load' nearer the time. I can give out 'popham tips' too if you've never been.

FlyingForFun
19th Feb 2003, 10:31
Definitely interested, Irv - it was a great day out last year.

But there are already two other threads running about PPRuNe fly-ins - one at Duxford, and one at Turweston. Personally, I'd be all for you re-raising the possibility of another Popham fly-in after both of those are out of the way - it's too much for my little head to be able to handle right now!

FFF
---------------

The Nr Fairy
19th Feb 2003, 10:34
Not me, I'm afraid. Last year was expensive enough for me !

AerBabe
19th Feb 2003, 11:11
Awww... poor FFF. What you need is a "diary".

Irv - theoretically I'd love to come. It's a great flight down from Coventry, and a lovely airfield. But... depends on the money situation. I've pencilled it in though.

FlyingForFun
19th Feb 2003, 12:46
The problem with a diary, AerBabe, is I never remember to look in it. When I do remember, it's great at telling me all the important things I was supposed to do last week, but forgot about. :rolleyes:

Men, huh?

FFF
------------------

BRL
19th Feb 2003, 13:07
Great idea Irv, look forward to it.

FFF/ABabe, Isn't a dairy where you make milk??????:confused:

Ace Rimmer
19th Feb 2003, 13:18
Irv
Yep, be totally up for it, especially if you can organise the same wx as last year.
:cool:

Maybe this time I 'll actually get to meet ....(gasp)....Aer Babe

BlueRobin
19th Feb 2003, 15:31
Hi Irv,

That weekend is traditionally when we go off on the club trip. Last year ws dambusting, this year is likely to be Ibeafa. However, dates not confirmed yet ebcuase yours truly has to hash out the options with the club owner.

If it's not to be that weekend, I shall cetainly bear Popham in mind for the 29th.

Neil

Barney_Gumble
19th Feb 2003, 19:25
Yes, please add my name to the list Irv. Any Popham tips gratefully received.

Andy

AerBabe
19th Feb 2003, 20:13
Popham tips? Hmmm... don't drink the water in the sinks? :confused: :p
Oh, and bring earplugs if FFF and I are both there...

Taildragger
19th Feb 2003, 23:19
Hey Aerbabe.... You will be pleased to hear that I will be in Greece while all this is happening.!! I now have my licence back after some probing was done to my orifices and the Medics declared me serviceable again, but sadly I will not be able to let you play with the pole in my dragger. Next time maybe.??

Keef
19th Feb 2003, 23:36
Cusco and I both came last year, in a pair of Arrers, and both got mightily cut up on finals by microlights. If I'm going to hear "but I was in the microlight circuit" then I'll stay well clear. Have the Popham microlighters been taught not to turn inside other stuff in the circuit? If so, I might risk it.

andrewc
20th Feb 2003, 01:42
Going to Popham last year formed part of a rather formative
weekend for me.

It started with having to fly under Luton/London airspace,
which made me feel rather prickly...coming from the flatlands
of Cambridge I prefer 2500'+ as an operating height...none
of this 1000-1500' for me.

Then despite knowing where it was (trusty GPS) the d@mn
aerodrome proved very difficult to spot so some impromptu
wandering in circles took place.

Getting into the v busy circuit, I was cut up the once, and then
on my second attempt on late final some SOB in a microlight
felt like they should taxi onto the numbers.

Beween that and the noise abatement wiggle I made the
*worst* landing.

Met a few Ppruner's...

On the return to Cambridge, I am happily turning base-leg
when the Red Arrows in vertical column drive straight
across the field at circuit height +/-500'. Cut up yet again
I dive directly for the runway, land long (plenty of tarmac)
only to have my brakes fail (no nose wheel steering in Cirri)
and have to be walked back to the park by the fire crew...

So on balance I won't be going back to Popham this year.

But you all have a good time,

-- Andrew

Ace Rimmer
20th Feb 2003, 07:10
Well er yeah, BRL and I got cut up a couple of times but it was by a 152 rather than a microlight. The crowded R/T meant that we ended up in a high orbit (bout 3,000 if memory serves) surveying the scene prior to joining the circuit...which was probably a good thing
In truth I found the the whole thing a bit challenging what with just about everything else (cept Keef and Cusco) going slower than us (in itself a non problem just fly the circuit gear down and one notch of flaps)... plus the cut ups... plus the dogleg final but actually when we finally got on the deck I realised that I'd quite enjoyed it...
Matter of fact I'm looking forward to the next one...

Hersham Boy
20th Feb 2003, 08:04
I'm the world's worst at planning this far in advance, but I've got it pencilled in. Have driven past Popham on the A303 countless times... so I've no doubt I'll not spot it from the air ;)

Assuming all goes to plan, I'll volunteer the first seats going from Redhill... should be in a PA28 Archer.

And - no, I'm not planning on going via Coventry, AB :)

Hersh

Fly Stimulator
20th Feb 2003, 11:13
Here's a picture I took of Popham last winter. The slight frost means that the runways show up reasonably well.

It is taken looking towards the north east.

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/gallery/popham.jpg

Irv
7th Apr 2003, 05:16
Registration page (for me, merely to give an idea of extra catering requirements - for others, to grab a spare seat!!):

Popham 29th June registration (voluntary) (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=58)

Irv
27th Jun 2003, 17:36
Reminder:
If you want somewhere 'nominated' to meet up this coming Sunday, you're welcome at Popham - no organised events, no carnivals, no fire-eaters - just somewhere to go!

Special offer: Instructor fees have been waived this sunday on how to use our coffee machine. (you still have to pay for the coffee, but solo rates apply). It's the sort of machine with sachets with plastic valves necks and spring-out trap doors. You need 2 minutes instruction for normal coffee if you've never used this particular machine before, and a full 5 minutes 'complex' conversion sign off if you want the Cappucino, which involves 2 sachets and extra instructions. If you can't face learning a new 'type', all the usual drinks, food and cakes on sale in the cafe as normal.

Mike Cross
27th Jun 2003, 18:54
Weather permitting I shall be there.

If anyone is feeling particularly foolhardy they can risk a ride in the Luscombe (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/142284/M/)

PM me if you want my mobile no.

Mike

Andrew Sinclair
28th Jun 2003, 05:38
I am planning to come along too. Should be there about 11:00 (ish) subject, as Mike says, to weather.

Keef
28th Jun 2003, 09:31
I'm working - 'tis Petertide. Have a great gathering, folks, and don't bang into each other in the sky.

LowNSlow
28th Jun 2003, 12:07
Have a good time chaps and chapesses, I'm working unfortunately and it's our company do tonight which means I'm unlikely to be able to stand unaided tomorrow far less fly an aeroplane.

mrcross why is your lovley looking Luscombe registered G-BTCH? Isn't she as nice as she looks :cool:

flower
28th Jun 2003, 16:44
I don't have the luxury of flying in but I'm only 30mins drive away this weekend so should the weather look good will probably see a few of you there.

:ok:

Mike Cross
29th Jun 2003, 14:38
LowNSlow

Like all attractive ladies I'm sure she has the potential. She's not bitten me yet but an incident where one brake cable became detached during the landing roll was interesting.

Flower - look forward to seeing you later

Mike

flower
30th Jun 2003, 00:20
Mike ,
thanks ever so much for the trip in the delightful G-BTCH.

Having driven like many people passed Popham over the years to at last get to visit it and to have a flight on such a lovely day was great.

As I don't fly myself I have to rely on others at the moment to take me around but I'm sure I will return ( and yes I will learn one day ;) )
Flower xx

Andrew Sinclair
30th Jun 2003, 04:52
Sorry I didn't make it........

Tango Golf, my trusted 172 was not at her best. During the after start magneto check I noted a difference in rpm between LH and RH mag only fractional though. Nothing unusual really and it normally clears after a bit of lean high power running. Taxied to the run-up and sure enough it cleared during power checks. Approached the hold and decided I would give it one more check before calling ready for departure. The problem returned and I couldn't clear it so taxied back to the ramp. After extensive running at different powers and mixture settings, I shut down for a think.

When the engine had cooled, started up again and immediately ran on the problem LH mag only for about 5 minutes. Shut down and checked the cylinders. 1,3 and 4 egg fryingly hot but number 2 cool. Then I remembered that a fellow group member had put in a quart of oil last week and I had put in 1/2 quart today.

Decided that the mags were probably fine but the piston rings in number 2 cylinder may be allowing excessive oil to pass into the combustion chamber and this was increasing the oil burn rate and fouling the LH mag spark plug in that cylinder.

Moral of the story.......listen to the engine when she wants to tell you something. May have been a pain if this had led to something happening up in the air. I am glad the aircraft told me!!

The engineer is coming down on Wednesday and I will be interested to see what he finds.

Irv
30th Jun 2003, 16:14
>>Sorry I didn't make it........

Shame - and there were free landings for PPRUNE and UKSA pilots too on the day! Not a huge saving as the fees are pretty minor anyway, but meant as a respectful 'offering' to encourage everyone!

paulc
30th Jun 2003, 17:03
I was there - in the green/white tent (as usual) - not many visitors though - too much on elsewhere I guess.