PDA

View Full Version : have you ever experienced an engine failure?

Pilot16
19th Feb 2003, 00:23
Hi,
I thought it would be interesting to know if anyone ever actually had an engine failure in the sky. If you ever had one, please share your experience here :) inc. how many hours you had/ whether you were a student or not, how you coped with the situation and the decisions you made etc.

Thanx!

P16

poetpilot
19th Feb 2003, 07:09
Before all us old buffers start repeating ourselves (..."ah, there I was at 500 feet with nothing on the clock except a picture of Mickey Mouse....):O , try this thread.......a discussion on engine reliability and tales of derring-do (and derring dont)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78677&highlight=engine+failure

Fly Stimulator
19th Feb 2003, 07:10
Yes, I had one on my third solo flight when I had a total of nine hours under by belt.

It happened while I was climbing out after takeoff, but fortunately the engine waited until I had reached 1,000' before stopping, so I had plenty of height to do a 180 degree turn and return for a downwind landing on the runway I'd just left.

My first thought at the time was just irritation - there had been a particularly long wait at the hold that day and now I was going to have to go back to the end of the queue.

FlyingForFun
19th Feb 2003, 08:14
Not yet.

But I had my first alternator failure at around 50 hours, my next one 6 months later when training for my night qualification, was pax when AerBabe had an alternator failure shortly after that, and then a couple of months ago experienced a rough-running engine due to a blocked fuel filter. So it won't be too long, I'm sure. :eek:

I'd better get up there and start practicing my PFLs! :\

FFF
----------------

AerBabe
19th Feb 2003, 08:50
... and that alternator failure was the first flight with my new licence... :rolleyes:

SW

Kermit 180
19th Feb 2003, 09:30
Not all the aircraft or systems incidents I have had are engine related. I have had three partial engine failures, an electrical fire, and a blocked pitot, but never had a total engine failure. Yet.

The first partial engine failure occured during solo circuits as a student. The first indication something was wrong were streaks of light brown fluid over the windshield that quickly turned into a stream of darker oil. As I was in the circuit it was just a matter of declaring a panpan and making a shorter approach than normal. Perhaps the biggest effect (not counting the obvious oil temperature rise) was limited visibility out front. Didnt really think too much of it at the time, just got on with flying the aeroplane.

The cause of the second was a failed magneto in flight which refused (understandable) to provide spark. Not a major, as again I was in the circuit and was able to make a short approach to land, but it gives you food for thought afterwards, and it sure ran rough.

Number three occured on the ground, and was the last incident or emergency involving equipment that I have had. A mixture cable snapped and the engine ran rough. Not a true emergency as it occured on the ground, however with the cable snapped and the mixture full or over-rich, the engine wouldnt shut down without the key OFF and the throttle plunged in to drown it.

I suffered a small electrical fire, this time away from an airfield. Smell of smoke and the scent of burning electrics told me what was happening, and it was quickly eliminated by turning off the masters and using a cellphone to advise traffic that we were NORDO and had a problem. Again, I just got on with flying the aeroplane. Reference was made to the flight manual. A pitot blockage was caused by a bumble bee that flew straight into the head at about 40 knots. Thinking the airspeed was too low for thfull power and such a low nose attitude, I quickly cottoned on that all was not well. This was a week before the oil leak. :( Dealing with it was simply a case of looking outside, going by noise and feel, and knowing that if the RPM was set then the attitude outside meant I should be doing about the right speed. Again, flying the aeroplane as I had been taught.

Statistics tell us (I know they can twist stats to suit the point they're trying to make) that the more you fly the more likely you are of encountering an engine failure or an inflight emergency of some sort. I know of a 23,000 light aircraft pilot who has never had an engine failure. I also know of one 2,000 hour pilot who has had three total failures. The point is it can and probably will, happen to you, regardless if you fly regularly or not that often. I havent had an emergency or aircraft system failure in the 1,000-odd hours since my mixture incident, so I'm always expecting it to happen. And staying current with emergency procedures.

Stay safe.

Kerms :)

PS: FFF, can you please email me your contact details as I have a magazine for you. Ta. ;)

Pilot16
19th Feb 2003, 12:32
This is very interesting. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Any one actually made a forced landing outside of an aerodrome?

FlyingForFun
19th Feb 2003, 13:07
Kermit, it's been so long, I'd completely forgotten that you'd promised me that mag! E-mail is on it's way!

FFF
---------------

FNG
19th Feb 2003, 13:28
Beagle Pup, dual, fine August day. Me: PPL student with about 17 hrs. Flying large circuit (forced on us by noise abatement). Instructor (now top mate and co-owner of group aircraft) planning to stop and send me first solo on the very next one (or so he later claims). Climb to 1000 feet, turn downwind: donkey splutters, power dies. Watch and listen with intense interest as instructor takes over, makes real life Mayday call, points towards runway, realises it's too far away (NB: Beagle Pup minus engine equals brick with wings), selects field and sets up for landing. Tense moment as approach what looks like a ditch at edge of field (in fact only a line of green verbiage). Instructor rounds out, holds off, and off, and off, and off....gentlest of landings. Time elapsed since fanstop: approx ninety seconds (to misquote Edward Whymper: " one crowded ninety seconds of glorious life"). Exit aircraft, laugh like hyenas, feel shivery. Observe that field would make very good flying club if equipped with windsock and butty shack. Falmer Palmer arrives, unfazed. Flying club car arrives to take us to pub. Drink beer.

Result: best flying lesson ever: Instructor observes that slack "yeah, flying lessons, whatever" attitude transformed to one of paying attention. First solo a couple of weeks later. Continue and obtain licence. Do PFLs frequently ever since (did a rotten one during skills test, but examiner kind). Could I have done it on my own at that time? Not sure. Could I do it now? I think so, but don’t particularly wish to find out.

EDIT: Instructor mate is sure that it took a lot less than 90 seconds. Given the gliding ability of a Pup, he is probably right.

KCDW
19th Feb 2003, 18:48
FNG - what was wrong with the engine?

LowNSlow
19th Feb 2003, 21:37
My most "exciting" moment was when the oil filler flap opened up on my C150 whilst climbing out of Popham. Not really a problem, told man on ground I needed priority and side slipped down the approach to try to keep the strain off the flap hinges. Biggest problem was not-to-keen-on-flying girlfriend who had my right thigh in a vice like grip (better than initial grip on upper right arm!!!). Landed off a normal circuit, cured errant flap with a large slice of gaffer tape and took her back up again to prove that it wasn't a life threatening incident.

Tee
19th Feb 2003, 22:20
Haven't yet had an engine failure. Had an altimeter failure - just a sticky mechanism which meant that the needle stuck rigidly or jumped around unreliably. And I've had fuel gauges dropping to zero on a night flight (when I'd just filled the tanks) - made a prompt return to base, just in case.

scubawasp
21st Feb 2003, 12:59
had a partial engine failure last night, whilst doing my night rating!!
We landed at roman way barracks military transport unit and stopped 50m before the end.
My thanks to my instructor James and the police, fire brigade and ATC.

expedite_climb
21st Feb 2003, 13:37
jeez guys, remind me to never go flying with you - especially kermit !!.

Slightly off topic i know, but here's an interesting one. In a PA38 (RHS), and while taxying in i felt something like a bee sting on my leg. I felt down to see what it was, and burnt my fingers. The nav light switch had been shorting out, and the heat melted the solder on the switch, which dripped on my leg. Ill never wear shorts in an aeroplane no matter how hot it is !

AfricanEagle
21st Feb 2003, 14:24
I had an engine failure on take off at 300ft with a Tecnam P92J.
Had just retracted flaps when the engine went silent.
First thought "I can't believe this is really happening to me". Pushed the nose down to best speed. The way the engine had died could only mean a fuel problem so I checked that the fuel selectors were open, and they were.

That done I concentrated on selecting a landing site: luckily there were lots of fields. Straight ahead I had some power lines so I turned right into the wind and aimed for a tall standing wheat field. The P92J glides like a dream so I had time to change my choice: I turned another 90 degress right and decided for a sugarbeet field. Lined up I set full flaps, just kept holding the P92J off, skimming the wheat for the last ten metres and landed perfectly between the rows of young surgarbeet, the stall horn just starting to bleet and airspeed indicating just over 40 knots.
Stopped in about 80 metres.

Cause of the engine stopping was contaminated fuel: it was green car petrol and had been brought to the airfield for the airshow. (The P92J has a rotax engine). After the incident most refuelled aeroplanes found traces of muck in their tanks. I just happened to receive a big blob of it. Another pilot with a Storm was very unlucky because after 2 hours flight, ten minutes from destination, he too had an engine failure for the same reason and during the forced landing the aeroplane was destroyed (no one hurt).

During the whole event (40 seconds maybe), after my intiall disbelief, I was totally calm. All my senses were heightened and I felt totally in control.
To be honest, compared to how I had always imagined an engine failure, the real thing was a bit of an anticlimax :D

AE

Mr. TCU
21st Feb 2003, 17:24
I've never had an engine failure, but once while flying x-country at night I thought I noted a change in the sound of the engine. Careful listening for several minutes didn't reveal any more irregular sounds. Makes you sit up and take very close notice of everything though. I'm sure it was just my mind playing tricks on me to keep me alert.

I have had one comm failure though (if you could call it that). Just after takeoff I was being handed off to the Terminal controller from Tower and the radio went dead. First thing I did was to push the headset plugs firmly into their sockets - thus solving my comm failure. :O But I'm glad to see that I didn't panick. I always tell myself, check the simple things first.

ajsh
21st Feb 2003, 18:20
EFATO

It was a glorious August evening and my passenger and I had been determined to fly all day. The club only had a PA38 available and although I had amassed only about 10 hours on type I was familiar enough with the a/c and happy to accept it given the wonderful CAVOK conditions, panel similarity with PA28’s and the controlled environment in which we would fly (planned Woodford – inside Manchester’s TMA – to Liverpool). After a thorough check to the a/c we requested taxi.

Woodford has a very wide and long runway and it was common practice for GA a/c to start their take off run from an intersection – this allowed use of ¾ of the available length and for us represented a safe and sensible option. Company IFR traffic was already waiting clearance and the end of the runway.

Having completed all checks at a speed and accuracy I was comfortable with (rather than at the speed the controller expected – see company traffic above) I called ready and was given clearance to go.

Full power – everything normal – rotated at 60/65 knots and established positive rate of climb, go to about 80 feet or so and the engine failed completely. Oh ****** – or something similar – was the expression used I seem to recall. After that, training took over, check fuel, mayday, check fuel again, fuel pump on off, throttle forward back, nose down, runway ahead, doors un latched, seatbelts tighten, call landing ahead, do some other thing that I cannot recall now and landed safely on the runway despite it being reasonably hard. Maintained control of the a/c and tried to stop in the very short distance available.

Unfortunately didn’t although I did avoid the ILS equipment but ran on the overshoot collapsing the nose wheel in the process.

Turned everything that still on – off (Master switches I am sure were the only things on by this time), go out, decided that since the airfield fire people and some of Greater Manchester’s fire brigade were already on their way, having a cigarette would not be a good idea.

The thing is, I was P1 with about 120 hours total by this time, the incident it’s self has never caused me any worry rather the after events of “good I have done anything better” and all the forms and inquisitions were more traumatic than falling from the sky. Anyway the engine packed up as a result of some mechanical thing to do with pistons or something.

The next day however, I flew with an instructor in a BE80. It, having two engines, meant that I could be assured of getting over the fence that time.

FNG
22nd Feb 2003, 07:29
KCDW, sorry for belated reply

Two theories:

(1) stuck throttle valve. Another pilot had suffered a power failure and recovery on final a few weeks previously. When the engineer arrived some hours after the landing, he replicated the power loss on his first two attempts to run the engine. Then it ran normally.

(2) carb ice. Odd, this, as we were flying circuits, and had just completed a full power climb, in ambient conditions which were not particularly conducive to carb ice. The EGT needle was not in the arc in which carb ice is likely.

It turned out that aircraft needed a new engine shortly afterwards, when an inspection revealed a (different) major problem.

knobbygb
22nd Feb 2003, 11:50
Nothing as dramatic as some of the others, but I had the attitude indicator fail on the last lesson before my skills test - the gyros slowly spun down over 2 or 3 minutes. Told the instructor we would be returning to land, and he said I'd made the right decision but we'd carry on as it was a crystal clear day. 15 minutes later the instrument came back to life again and appeared normal - cue very smug instructor telling me he knew we had done the right thing continuing - although I refused to use the gyro instruments for the rest of the flight and used that funny compassy thingy that's stuck on the dashboard while actually looking at the horizon.

Never found out what the problem was - the heading indicator seemed unaffected and we had 5 inches of suction so there was no major vacuum system problem.

Funny thing was, a couple of days earlier we'd been doing some real IMC practice, making climbing and decending turns through a cloud layer - in the same aircraft. Makes you wonder if you really want to fly IMC in a light single, but that's another thread...

Final 3 Greens
22nd Feb 2003, 13:21
Not had an engine failure yet, but did lose 3 spark plugs during the climb out at night.

The engine ran a little roughly, but a quick circuit was safely accomplished.

Having though the risks through, I now prefer to stay in the circuit when flying an SEP at night.

The incident happened about a year after I got my PPL and it was a good wake up call.

I am pretty diligent at glide landings and PFLs now, just in case.