PDA

View Full Version : use of JAR I/R in the US?

Gin Slinger
18th Feb 2003, 20:56
Will the FAA recognise a JAR Instrument Rating in conjunction with Temporary Airman Certificate for recreational flying?

Basically, can I fly IFR when I visit Chicago this autumn?

I've not found any pearls of wisdom on the FAA or CAA websites...

QNH 1013
18th Feb 2003, 22:44
As I understand it your JAA IR isn't valid in an N-reg a/c in the USA but they will give you an FAA IR on your FAA temp certificate providing you first pass either the FAA written (computer) IR exam or the IR (foreign pilot) computer exam. I assume the latter computer exam is just as subset of the former computer exam.
I should add that I have not done this myself so I stand to be corrected by anyone who has already gone down this road.

Julian
19th Feb 2003, 07:41
You will prob have to check you meet the checkride requirements as well. They are different to the UK requirements so dont turn up with the writtens done and expect to jump in an aircraft and take it. I.e. night flying hours required also their definition of an XC is different to ours.

englishal
19th Feb 2003, 07:43
Correct, you take the "Instrument Foreign Pilot" computer test and once passed your Airmans certificate will be endorsed with the IR....ie. "Single engine Instrument Airplane" [or ME]..

EA

Gin Slinger
19th Feb 2003, 22:21
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

18greens
21st Feb 2003, 15:24
You also need to apply for a temp airmans cert for the IR (and the twin if you have it) to add onto the existing TAC you have for your PPL.

Apply for this via the standard route (pay the CAA £15) pass the computer ground exam and go to the FSDO to pick up the cert.

I don't believe any flying is required.

I tried to do it last year but the new TAC process was in turmoil. I'll have to do it next time.

Good luck