PDA

View Full Version : Canadian to NPPL conversion

pittss2b
18th Feb 2003, 01:20
Greetings,

Hypothetically speaking, if I have a Canadian PPL with say 50 hours and I want a “NPPL” what must I do?

Adam
www.harvsair.com

MLS-12D
18th Feb 2003, 15:21
I don't know the answer, but I would think that Flight Crew Licensing [[email protected]] would be the place to ask. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

MLS-12D

Irv
19th Feb 2003, 09:47
Contact the NPLG via links on the NPPL page (http://www.nppl.uk.com) and tell them your 'hours' and they send back an assessment. Expect nav test, handling test and ground exams and fee and medical cert of course.

Doghouse
19th Feb 2003, 10:01
By conincidence I'm training a Canadian PPL at the moment for his NPPL.

The website given above outlines exactly what needs to be done - assuming your PPL is current. If it is current, then you have to do all the written exams, the radio training and the two flight tests.

In my student's case his PPL had lapsed, so I simply wrote to the NPPL administrators with a suggested plan (ie 2 hours stall, spin awareness; cross country qualifier, nav training as req. and GH training as req. then flight tests). They wrote back and said fine, crack on.

Fly Stimulator
19th Feb 2003, 10:04
It doesn't sound as if getting the NPPL would involve much less work than getting a JAR PPL.

You may not be intending to fly across the Channel or at night anyway, but if you are then be aware that the NPPL won't permit this.

I got an NPPL myself as soon as it came out last year, but got frustrated by the limitations so went on to get the JAR PPL as well.

MLS-12D
19th Feb 2003, 19:34
I had a quick look at the NPPL website. It is difficult for me, as an outsider, to see how this complex process is "the most significant positive development in private flying for decades".

It is apparent that in addition to poor weather and sky-high fuel prices, general aviation in the U.K. is terribly burdened with over-regulation. :( My sympathy and admiration goes out to all of you that are keeping the faith!

MLS-12D

P.S. foregive my ignorance, but can anyone explain the point of the JAA licensing scheme? I thought that international harmonization of licensing standards was resolved way back in 1944 ... hard to see why the EC insists upon meddling with the Chicago system. :confused: