PDA

View Full Version : PPL Log book to CPL Log Book??

rotormad
15th Feb 2003, 18:34
Just a little help needed please!!

I have started my commercial course (ATPL studies) for fixed wing and rotorary, my question is this, i have two new pooley commercial log books, my old PPL log book is nearly ten years old and very knackered but not even half full. What do i do about starting my new log book, do i just put in how many hours i have done in the front of the new one and go from there, or can i transfer the data across from old to new???????????

I have written to the CAA but heard nothing as yet..

any help, advice appreciated

Rotormad

eyeinthesky
15th Feb 2003, 19:17
All I did was wrote "Continued in next logbook" across the last page, and then transferred my cumulative totals across to the summary page at the beginning of the CPL one. I have kept the PPL logbook, of course.

Whilst you're doing the totting up for the summary, take the time to divide it my aircraft type, Solo/P1S/PuT and local vs cross country as you will have to put those on the CAA forms when you apply for your Commercial licence and it will save a lot of hassle then.

rotormad
15th Feb 2003, 22:27
Thanks for the advice..will do!!

Cheers

Rotormad

Whirlybird
16th Feb 2003, 10:36
rotormad,

AFAIK, you can do it however you like. I know people who've transferred the lot, and some who've done as eyeinthesky. I've kept everything in my PPL logbooks, since I can't think of a good reason to get a new one. The rule is that you must keep a logbook; the details, format etc are up to you.

However, what I really really really want is a logbook that allows me to record rotary, f/w, microlight etc time, separating them out, and also separating night/day, single/multi engine etc etc, but giving me a total of the lot when I need it. And I want it in a traditional logbook - computer logging doesn't feel the same; I need my thumbprints and oil stains and tippex for it to be real. I think I'd need to get a huge blank book and make my own columns. But how many columns, and what's the best way of doing it? Any ideas anyone?

rotormad
16th Feb 2003, 10:56
In the new Pooley log books i've got it states that you 'have' or 'should' keep fx and rotary in seperate log books. Before i invested in the new log books i phoned a mate of mine who is ex RAF and now flies for BA and he said the same, although im sure he said that his old RAF log book worked differently, but im not sure about that.

If i do decide to transfer old to new to i have to get it signed off by anyone???

Cheers all

Rotormad

Trader
15th Mar 2003, 21:41
Bought a new one and love it.

www.leatherlogbook.com

MLS-12D
24th Jun 2003, 06:06
Whirlybird,

While in "Aviation World" in Toronto I saw the leather log books noted by Trader, and they would appear to meet your needs; there are a half-dozen empty columns for you to fill in as appropiate to your particular needs (x-country, floats, skis, whatever).

Definitely not cheap, but they seemed to be good quality. :ok:

MLS-12D

BRL
24th Jun 2003, 06:40
Where about is 'Aviation World' in Toronto??????

long final
24th Jun 2003, 14:27
Try

Aviation World (http://www.aviationworld.net)

LF

Morgo
24th Jun 2003, 15:54
Those logbooks look great! Does anyone else have any recommendations for them?

englishal
24th Jun 2003, 18:29
I don't think it really matters. I have a US log book but its really handy as it has columns for Inst Appr / Ldgs / As FI / SE / ME / Rotary / Day / Night / SIT / IT / Ground trainer / PIC / Dual / SIC TT etc etc etc.....The CAA have never complained about it either.

I also spent some time entering all this stuff into an Access database which I'm perfecting. The reason for this is that the FAA and CAA have different logging requirements. For example the FAA allows PIC and Dual to be logged if you're rated on type, also FAA definition of X/C is > 50nm and stuff like this. With a load of queries I can extract the info I need. This all stemmed from filling out an FAA rating application form, it wanted to know stuff such as SOLO X/C. Well I don't log SOLO I log PIC which under the FARs can also be dual, so in the past I had to go back through all entries and manually work it out....a right pain in the arse. Now I just run a SOLO time query which extracts all solo entries or solo X/C, stuff like that.....

I agree with Whirly, I couldn't log on a computer alone, I just run it in parallel and use it to cross check my official logbook [actually when entering all this data, I found a few errors which I added as 'corrections' to the end of the logbook].

Cheers
EA:D

MLS-12D
24th Jun 2003, 22:51
Morgo,

They are quite heavy duty. I inspected all three colours, and I would suggest that the dark brown one looks the nicest.

I would like to have one of these, but my current logbook is only 1/3 filled up and I don't want to switch in mid-book. However, I think I'll probably buy one and tuck it away ready for when I complete the first book, which will take several years. I wish the manufacturer well, but I doubt that they will be around for all that long; the quality is commensurate with the price, but most pilots won't want to spend that kind of money, and Canada is not exactly the highest-profile location (although logbooks can be used internationally, as others have already noted).

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jun 2003, 23:39
They do look rather nice, I might treat myself when I fill the current one up.

Having said that, I saw a colleagues a few years ago - he was a more than averagely experienced service pilot who had filled up several Navy logbooks. He simply took them all to a good bookbinder who bound them all together in leather - even put a Fleet-Air-Arm badge on the front for him, looked stunning.

Speaking for myself (I fly 3 classes of a/c routinely and others occasionally) I simply took a commercial logbook and made up stickers to change the column headings. CAA have seen it several times and seem quite happy as has my employer.

I wonder why nobody sells a logbook that simply has blank column headings throughout, it would seem an obvious thing to do.

G

WestWind1950
25th Jun 2003, 00:04
Instead of the unnecessary columns for your name and the name of your passenger, a larger "remark" column for notations, like name of guest, instructor, or other info, would be better... it's kind of silly to repeatedly write in my own name for every flight :confused: after all, it's my book!! and the difference between solo/PIC and dual you can see by which column the times are put in!

The book I use is from the Swiss government... but it, too, isn't perfect: it's in German and French!! not very JAA conform I would think ;)

I have also set up an excel sheet for my times.... helps with the mathematics! :cool:

WestWind1950

MLS-12D
25th Jun 2003, 02:44
I wonder why nobody sells a logbook that simply has blank column headings throughout, it would seem an obvious thing to do.I don't know, but possibly it is because most of us want something 'official' or 'approved'. Everything in aviation that is not TSO'd must be second best, right?:D

I guess a book that has a mix of pre-printed column headings and multiple blank columns is at least a step in the right direction.

Jepp
25th Jun 2003, 04:32
Tippex, ink blotches, incorrect adding up of times, coffee stains or any other stains for that matter ! ......... leave sentimentality aside and put it all on a computer spreadsheet.

Excel is crying out for the sort of data pilots keep in their logbook, and you can customise it till your hearts content. But make sure you back it up or print a hard copy every now and then.

MLS-12D
25th Jun 2003, 05:41
leave sentimentality aside and put it all on a computer spreadsheet. To each his own. Personally, I will never switch to a computer spreadsheet. I'm sure that it is vastly more efficient, but it is too impersonal, and so ephemeral.

I want a book with my contemporaneous printing, with individual flight school stamps confirming my time in various aircraft, etc. Also, whenever I solo an aircraft for the first time, I put an appropriate rubber stamp image (http://www.imaginairdesigns.com/) in my book. I guess that you could always cut and paste a digital photo onto your spreadsheet, but somehow it doesn't seem quite the same.

FormationFlyer
25th Jun 2003, 07:32
Well I currently use a Jeppesen Logbook - Even though I have never had an american licence or been to america.

I was under the old CAA system and used this logbook because I needed the column breakdown due to training for commercial. I use a separate logbook for Microlights.

About a year ago my flight bag and both my log books were stolen...now its all OK I got absolutely everything back - but it made me change radically.

I started a computer logbook.

I tried one or two - they were all crap.

However.....Jeppessen FliteLog - Superb - add as many columns as I want....now I *seriously* break down my flight time...formation/tailwheel/display/instrument/instructing - all really broken down - I can answer any question quickly without problem....if I print it in landscape it is 6 A4 pages wide :)

My Jeppessen electronic is now my *master* logbook. All entries are made on here first (i can change them if I find errors). About 7 days later I then amend my paper logbook - this means that I have a paper record that can be annotated by instructors/examiners as necessary - and is easy to show to people, but for knowing what hours I have flown (last 28 days, last 12 months, per a/c type etc - since my last medical) it is now a simple 5 second filter on the electronic version.....

Best of both worlds & I didnt have to spend ages pratting about with access or excel...and more to the point - its already tested.

Regards
FF

Jepp
25th Jun 2003, 16:10
Formation flyer

What does the Jeppesen logbook add up in, hours and minutes or decimal, also, I've heard that it will not run on XP, is that true ?

Regards
J

FormationFlyer
26th Jun 2003, 06:22
I use hours and minutes - I dont know decimal so I havent tried....

XP - Works perfectly as it did on Win2K.

I am running it right now on XP as I type in this reply...v2.42.