PDA

View Full Version : multi engine with PPL

Pilot16
15th Feb 2003, 10:05
Just wondering, ive seen few people here who do multi engine training with the PPL.

Ive learnt that for an ME rating issue, you need at least 70 hours of PiC time. Now as far as I am concerned, that would mean you dont get the rating untill you have managed to build 70 hours PiC time. Now doesnt this mean you're ME skills get a bit rusty while you build this time in a single engine? which would obviously be after you pass your PPL.

Or is their some sort of special concession where you can get your ME issued with the PPL (Im sure this aint the case!)

Someone please clarify for me.
Thanks very much in advance.

distaff_beancounter
15th Feb 2003, 11:28
Pilot16
Could you clarify you question a bit please?

Are you asking if you can get your initial PPL licince issued with only a multi-engine piston (MEP) class rating?

If so, I am not sure that you can, althiugh you used to be able to, prior to JAA.

Anyhow, under JAA an MEP class rating, does not entitle you to fly a single-engine piston (SEP).

So, if by any chance you did start your PPL training on an MEP, then you would presumably not be licenced to fly anything solo, as you would be in a Catch 22 situation:-
Less than 70hr P1, so cannot get the MEP rating.
But no SEP rating, so cannot clock up the necessary 70hr P1.

In practice, most people get their initial PPL, with an SEP rating. They then get some experience & enjoy themselves, while clocking up some hours. Many of them will do an IMC rating & a night qualification. Only then do they think about the MEP, by which time they should have got the necessary 70hr P1, in the log book.

I hope that sort of answers you question, but if you give us more details, I am sure that someone, more knowlegaeble than me, will reply.
:)

BRL
15th Feb 2003, 12:32
He has been told the answer before HERE. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69788)

Pilot16
16th Feb 2003, 10:27
Hi

Thanks distaff_beancounter!
You have indeed answered my question! :)

Thanks Big Red L for the link as well :)

P16