PDA

View Full Version : Air Wales - new routes

Charlie Fox
13th Feb 2003, 06:49
Air Wales announce new routes commencing March 2003. CWL - JER & PLH - JER using ATR42.

panjandrum
13th Feb 2003, 10:48
Heard a strong rumour they are trying to finalise a Cardiff to London City also, if they can get the slots they want!

GROUNDHOG
13th Feb 2003, 18:15
And the very best of luck to them. Another one in the eye for all the Ppruners that said it would never get off the ground. London City was the route AW always wanted to operate but because of the high landing costs with an 18 seater it just didn't work, maybe the ATR would.

Surely though they should be carrying passengers between Plymouth and Swansea/Cardiff or even better still why not operate Swansea to Newquay and pick up the BA routes to London?

:O

The Big Bad Daddy
13th Feb 2003, 19:21
Have the London City slots, commence at the end of March 3 trips a day. A lot of businessmen been showing a interest in the service who are fed up with the unrealiable train service.

Should be a good route.

Buster the Bear
13th Feb 2003, 20:21
I hope what you say is true, although the problem could well be access. Cardiff airport is a long way from the affluent areas of its city.

Train access is rather swift from the main line station within the City (Close to Cardiff bay) into London.

I would wager that the train will be more expensive, well it needs to be if folk are to travel from Barry to the docks!

I remember well, the business plan for Fly-Europen (BAC1-11's) from Barry to London Whipsnade. It never happened.

Good luck AW, for when the baby WDA funds run out, you could be on your own?

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/misc/musicband.gif

Press Button B
13th Feb 2003, 20:32
Is the ATR42 in service yet or are they continuing to wetlease the German Beech 1900?

The Big Bad Daddy
14th Feb 2003, 00:28
Planned delivery for the first ATR is due as early as the end of next week with the second to come a few weeks later.

CheekyVisual
14th Feb 2003, 09:51
I don't think CWL - LCY is a real proposition due to the poor connections between the city and airport. However, my understanding is that the route is designed not to serve Cardiff but Swansea. Now that's a whole different game. The rail links west of Cardiff are patchy and hugely unreliable. A London trip from anywhere west of Swansea is an all day affair. For example I once went Camarthen - London on the train and it took 8 hours !

A service aimed at Swansea and West Wales operated direct from Swansea has a real possibility of success provided the new terminal at Swansea is a really "walk through" affair, keep V. Short check in times and keep the Car Park free ! Then as long as you don't go tech too often an ATR to LCY should get at least 50% load factor. Just have to work out if that's enough to break even.

Good luck to AW I think you've finally found yourselves something that might work.

The Big Bad Daddy
14th Feb 2003, 11:08
The service will start from Swansea with a quick 10 minutes stop at Cardiff to pick up any passengers travelling to London, total time for the journey starting at Swansea is 1 hour and 10 min.

To break-even it needs around 22 bums on the seats.