PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Law

Discorde
12th Feb 2003, 13:59
For those of us who sometimes drive puddle-jumpers, does anyone know where one can get hold of the PPL Aviation Law booklet? It used to be called CAP 85, I think, but it doesn't seem to feature on the CAA Publications list on their website.

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2003, 14:14
I think it's now in something called "LASORS". Although to be honest, you'd be best off buying a copy of one of the current PPL textbooks such as Thom or Pratt which has distilled it down to what you need and made it fairly readable.

G

FlyingForFun
12th Feb 2003, 15:40
I'm not familiar with CAP85, but I don't think it's connected to LASORS. LASORS is split into two sections: LAS which includes everything you ever wanted to know about UK/JAR licensing issues (everything from NPPL to ATPL), and ORS which is an amalgamation of lots of safety leaflets and information which is deemed to be useful to private pilots. Well worth the £10 IMHO, but not very relevant to Air Law unless it's specifically licensing that you're interested in.

FFF
-------------

StrateandLevel
12th Feb 2003, 19:30
CAP85 was withdrawn because it did not match the JAA Airlaw syllabus. It can still be found in microlight schools as their syllabus has not changed.

Doghouse
12th Feb 2003, 21:55
CAP85 is a thing of the past for light aircraft (though microlighters still use it). A book called "UK AIM" (or something like that) is its nearest replacement. It contains relevent ANO articles, useful AICs etc. I don't have one but many of my colleagues swear by it.

Remember the ANO is now available online (via CAA website) and, once you get used to navigating it, is actually fairly easy to use.

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2003, 22:32
I'm a user of UK AIM, which is very useful but not specifically aimed at any particular branch of aviation. It costs £16, is published by AFE, and contains the AIP, ANO, rule of the air and the main safety AICs.

G

Chilli Monster
12th Feb 2003, 23:02
The full publication is CAP 393 - Air Navigation Order (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393__Dec02.pdf) which consists of the ANO in part 1 and the Rules of the Air in part 2. Just an idea but maybe worth having a look online and just printing off the relevant sections that you need.

CM