PDA

View Full Version : Flying for charity

captchunder
12th Feb 2003, 13:20
Hi all. I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction...

I'm toying with the idea of taking some unpaid leave from my UK carrier and doing something charitable with my time that would hopefully involve flying, as that is all I'm good at (nothing sarcastic from those that may know me, please)

I'm thinking along the lines of third world, VSO, red cross, MSF etc...

Anybody got any contacts?

Thanks in advance.

Cool_Hand
14th Feb 2003, 14:47
I don't know whether you've discounted MAF or not, but they do a lot of support flying (hospital transport, doctor mobility, food & supplies etc.) around mostly third world countries.

a contact e-mail address:

[email protected]

(01303) 852810,

they have a list of requirements that you need to meet, if you can get in I'm told the flying is excellent.

Crossunder
14th Feb 2003, 16:09
To be eligible for an interview with MAF you'd have to be a very religious person as you are required to act as a Missionary as well as a pilot. MAF give people food in exchange for their tradition, culture and dignity. "I'll give you food if you tell me you love Jesus and throw away you own Gods and several-thousand-year-old-traditions". Makes me sick. But that's just me...

Flying Lawyer
14th Feb 2003, 20:52
captchunder

Crossunder's understanding of the work done by MAF is very different from mine.

Suggest you look at their website. MAF (http://www.maf-uk.org )

Jelly Doughnut
14th Feb 2003, 21:04
Captchunder

Most of the so-called 'humanitarian flying' in Africa is done by private companies that are contracted in by UN, Red Cross etc.

A lot of these are South African ... some names to start with are Balmoral, Rossair, NAC and King Air Services ... there is also a Danish outfit called Aviation Assistance ... and a company called Transafrik which is based in Angola.

Good place to start would be the African forum ... do a search for 'humanitarian flying' ... the topic has been discussed quite a lot over the years.

You will do some great flying and meet fantastic people in some of the worst places this world has to offer ;)

Good luck
JD

mjbow2
15th Feb 2003, 00:03
Try A.I.M.....

Africa Inland Mission.

Mu2s, caravans and some piston poppers. Need an A&P also.

Not sure I agree with the crusade the missions are on either. apart from peddling their religion the missions do great work.

Good luck!

captchunder
16th Feb 2003, 08:02
Thanks guys for all your input.

Enquiries are being made...

WhiskeyNovember
18th Feb 2003, 03:27
Some old friends of mine are doing some work along those lines in Guatemala...here's a URL to their site:

http://www.GreatCommissionAir.org/archive.php

Keep up posted!

-WN