12th Feb 2003, 10:36
What are your thoughts?
Safety? Fuel savings? Engine wear?
Anything helps.
Thanks,
GA

GlueBall
12th Feb 2003, 13:09
Primarily fuel management. So as to expend no more than programmed taxi fuel. It's true especially when your'e No. 17, waiting 42 minutes in line for takeoff at JFK. But we never taxi a 4 engined jet on one motor.

flufdriver
17th Feb 2003, 20:28
We do it all the time, checklist is set up to cater for single engine taxi. Sop's call for turning into the running engine when coming to a stop, that allows you to turn away from it when starting to roll again, looks a little funny being stopped at an angle on the taxiway, but on a long taxi it can save a lot of fuel. So on our 737's we start #2 first, use both packs for A/C (iso valve closed) and then do a delayed engine start so as to allow the engine to run at idle for at least 2 minutes prior to T/O.
My personal limit is: T/O weight must be below 105000 lbs (124kmax) for single engine taxi, otherwise it takes too much power to start rolling.

What do you do?

DICKUS
26th Feb 2003, 23:34
767 Driver
Don't even consider taxi out on one engine! Start fire problems with no groundcrew around?

However, taxi in on one is often used particuarly when light, but also in the Middle East to attempt to keep the brake temps lower and obviously reduce fuel consumption and tyre wear.

Onan the Clumsy
28th Feb 2003, 19:55
Wasn't there another thread on this?

I had to do it in a piston twin once. I guess it gets easier if you get some speed up, but I had to do a two seventy just to get off the runway so I'd rather not do it again if I didn't have to.