PDA

View Full Version : Australia?

Pitot-tube03
11th Feb 2003, 17:30
cAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ON THE PILOT JOB SITUATION IN aUSTRALIA!!! iS IT ANY BETTER THAN cANADA AT THIS TIME?

THANKS FOR THE INFO IN ADVANCE!!:rolleyes:

TCQ
13th Feb 2003, 10:23
Hey There,

Australia is absolutely booming. I know someone who turned down a second interview with Cathay, turned down a job offer at Virgin so he could accept a job at Qantas.

The regionals are hurting, the country is running out of pilots. An application to a regional airline is almost guaranteed to be called for an interview.

Before you get too excited though, immigration first. Australia is a tough country to get in to.

Good Luck

Pitot-tube03
13th Feb 2003, 14:55
Hey TCQ;

Thanks for the info, Check your PM's

Anymore info that you can give me would be appreciated!

TCQ
15th Feb 2003, 12:18
Hi There,

Before we talk about leaving for the land of sun and fun, have you got immigration taken care of? Australia is not Canada, you can't just walk in!

Let me know...

TurboOtter
17th Feb 2003, 02:14
Hey TCQ,
Check out the Australian forums and see just how Booming they really are..
Aus is hurting just as much as Canada, if not more.
The one plus is that Virgin is expanding, but shake a tree in Aus and a dozen qualified pilots will fall out!

If you want to go to Aus to try it out. check out the Aus immigration web site. and look for the working holiday scheme. It is the easiest way to get your foot in the door.

TCQ
18th Feb 2003, 11:01
Hey PT03,

PM's from now on.

TurboOtter... the glass is half full. Optimism will serve you well in this industry. Australian and Canadian trees are full of pessimists.

Mara
21st Feb 2003, 18:01
Been there done that.
I spent two years in Oz with Kendell Airlines. Kendell is of course now deceased due to the idiotic management that were in charge of Ansett (that’s another story). Oz looks like Canada from the outside only much warmer. Take heed, it is not Canada. This goes double for Australian Aviation. I can tell you first hand that Australian Aviation is a messy, back stabbing industry to be involved with.

Consider: A big FLAT country with perfect flying weather (as compared to Canada) and only two airlines (was Qantas and Ansett / now Qantas and Virgin). Both Airlines have major affiliations with their favorite government officials, newspapers and regulatory officials. Both airlines hate their competition with a passion. Both airlines continuously winge about the other in the media. CASA are 15 years behind the rest of the world in everything that they do. You’ll see this first hand if you get to the point where you actually try to have your licenses recognized. It can be done but ...... . CASA like to point to their safety record as a justification for their phony bologna jobs. My opinion is that Oz aviation have been spared a big time accident only due to the professionalism of there pilot and maintenance staffs and of course the fact that they live in a big, flat country with perfect weather.

If your hell bent on the idea of immigrating, follow the above advise. Get your immigration docs sorted first. As stated, it's not that easy to do. Then, get your licenses formally recognized by CASA. Then, you'll probably be able to find a job. I say only probably because there are piles of former Ansett staff still looking for work.

Zeke
9th Mar 2003, 12:27
Pitot-tube03,

Hiring is slow in Australia. Qantas has frozen recruitment until july, and Virgin are still pulling in very high hour pilots. I know people with 3-5000 hrs turbine not getting anywhere with either airline. Qantas is looking at parking jets again (737OG/743s) is the gulf war goes ahead.

Regionals are still hurting, impulse retired their 13+ B1900 fleet, kendells & hazos become smaller and now fly as rex, flightwest closed down and now smaller flies as alliance.

I was in Canada not so long ago, from what I saw Canada was in better shape.

My knowedge of the Qantas recruitment process is that is is a 5 stage process, normally taking 6-18 months to complete regardless of your background, if you look at www.qantas.com you can see the process listed there, then re-read TCQ posts with that knowedge in mind.

molly molly
11th Mar 2003, 20:26
Any study guides available on the CASA Exams?

Thanks

MLS-12D
13th Mar 2003, 19:29
molly molly,

You can purchase study guides here:
http://www.theaviatorstore.com.au/category82_1.htm (CPL)
http://www.theaviatorstore.com.au/category83_1.htm (ATPL)

This place seems to have practice exams available on-line: http://www.bobtait.com.au/cyber_exams_net.htm. They're not free, though (sorry!).

jtr
14th Mar 2003, 01:50
iwllflyajet, have a look at your PM's please

Hatchet Harry
9th Apr 2003, 21:53
Don't bother coming down here !!!!!

I know things aren't too flash in Canada but this place is terrible.
It is only worth a try if you have a fair bit of time eg: 2000+hrs, 500+multi command and turbine experience. It depends on what you are looking for really.......

If you are looking at a G.A Piston job. Usually if what is on offer is a half decent position, the vacancy is filled before it is there, this place is absolutely busting (I mean BUSTING !!!!)at the seams with pilots trying to build hours (Especially Multi !!!) to move onto the Airlines.

I have quite a few mates here that are unemployed with over 1500 hrs and 300 - 500 multi command. And they have busted their butts to find work !!!!!!

But as they say " You won't know if you don't try";) ;) ;)

Wanto Bewarm
13th Apr 2003, 06:37
Does anyone know what type of requirments Aus Immigrations is going to be looking for? I've got about 3400 hrs so I might be able to get a job according to Hatchet Harry. The type of job I take isn't so important to me anymore as much as working somewhere I would like to live. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of Canada but I hate the climate.

illflyajet.....you would have no prob getting a job in Canada right now. If that is what you are looking for. There are tonnes of operators looking for experienced float pilots. Lots of wannabes in Canada but they don't meet the crazy new insurance requirments. If you want into the IFR/wheels type of flying you'll have to get in line though. There are a lot of those guys lurking around.