PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Twinjet at BOD

Gordinho
11th Feb 2003, 12:55
Hi folks. This question is a bit anorakey, but I was in Bordeaux at the weekend and I noticed a twinjet parked on the hanger side of the runway (didn't get which runway) that I didn't recognize.

It's about the same size as an A320 with similar config (engine under each wing, tall-ish gear and conventional tail) but it's pretty old looking, painted in the old Air Inter livery and looks derelict. The engines are interesting in that they look (from a distance anyway) like JT8s.

It's not a Caravelle, it's not a 737 or an A320. Any ideas?

paulc
11th Feb 2003, 13:01
Could it be a Dassault Mercure ?? - similar in configuration but only 10 (I think) built for Air Inter.

eastern wiseguy
11th Feb 2003, 13:04
Would it have been something like a Dassault Mercure?:confused:

www.airtransportbiz.free.fr/Aircraft/Mercure.html

ETOPS
11th Feb 2003, 13:35
Try this photo:-

Mercure (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/158706/M/)

seacue
11th Feb 2003, 14:05
Mercure, the prototype for the A320.

At least they have essentially the same fuselage diameter. The A320 surely has better engines, better aerodynamics, better ....

Seriously, I wonder if there is any commonality between the proposed follow-on to the original Mercure and the eventual A320.

Gordinho
11th Feb 2003, 15:50
That's the bunny. Thanks guys. Makes pretty good sense given the Dassault presence at BOD too......

CandyBender
12th Feb 2003, 02:39
paulc.......You're right in saying there were 10 production Mercures (regs F-BTTA-BTTJ), however the prototype F-BTMD was brought up to production standards sometime in the early 80's & put into service with Air Inter.. I worked on them as cabin crew in the late 80s/early 90s & remember them well esp. doing AF CDG-LGW flights on them for a couple of years round about 90-91. They were well liked by cabin & flight crew alike.

ramsrc
13th Feb 2003, 06:43
Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember reading that the Mercure was the first civil aircraft to be fitted with a Head up display.

CandyBender
13th Feb 2003, 08:16
ramsrc.........10/10!! The Mercures were fitted with HUDs on both sides of the flight deck.....Air Inter later fitted HUDs to the A320s on the left hand side only.