PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 mediacl certificate issue - incorrect expiry date

Miss Bigglesworth
8th Feb 2003, 12:44
I've noticed that on my medical certificate the expiry date is incorrect. (At least I think it is!) I had my medical in May 2000, at the age of 29, so my medical should expire in May 2005, correct? (Class 2 Validity period - 60 months if under 30)
My certificate states that the expiry date is March 2003 ! Unfortunately, the examiner no longer carries out CAA medicals, and I've got no way of contacting him. More fool me for not realising before now, but does anyone know if I can get this changed ? I really can't afford to shell out for unnecessary medicals.

I've posted this on the medical forum aswell, but as it's not really a medical condition question I've put it here too.

wookiepilot
8th Feb 2003, 13:43
Miss Bigglesworth,

with regard to your class two medical, if you are 25 at the point of issue the medical itself would last for 60 months as you correctly indicated. However, if the medical is issued at the age of 29 then once you turn 30 the medical is no longer valid for the initial 60 month period, and would need to be re validated by an AME. This renewed medical would then only be valid for the time period indicated for those of 30+ by the CAA.

Sorry to burst your bubble.;)

regards

wookiepilot

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Feb 2003, 15:19
Hi Ms B

Wookie is right. It is valid for 2 years after you turned 30 hence 2003.

FD

aiglon
8th Feb 2003, 15:45
Sorry guys but I think you are both wrong - assuming that Miss B's medical is a JAA medical rather than a CAA one. JAA medical validity is based on age at date of issue whereas the old CAA ones were based on current age. Thus, a JAA medical issued at age 29 years would be valid for 5 years. An old CAA medical, however, issued at age 39 would expire at age 42 (after 40, the validity period reduces to 2 years).

SlipSlider
8th Feb 2003, 15:58
Miss B , I strongly recommend you check directly with the CAA as my information differs from Wookie and FD's. I raised a similar question (thread Dec 2001) and was given a firm statement from the CAA that duration of JAR2 medical is based on age at date of issue and not how soon a particular threshold is passed. (Sadly my threshold at the time was the 50 barrier, not the 30 .....)

Unfortunately I don't have the CAA e-mail or contact to hand. But for an 'unofficial' view look at Q32 on this FAQ site
http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/faq.htm

Slip

Miss Bigglesworth
8th Feb 2003, 16:56
Thanks very much for your posts.

It is indeed a JAA license. At the time of having my medical, the 5 years was valid even if I fell into the next age bracket during that five years, as Aiglon suggested. I don't know whether this is different now, I assume not. However, on reading your posts, it looks like he has incorrectly used the CAA ruling. Makes sense.

I have emailed the CAA, and will follow up with call on Monday, in the hope that the CAA will amend it but I don't hold out much hope for getting a quick answer. Obviously, my flying club will not let me fly until I have this changed. What a bloody pain.

Speedbird252
8th Feb 2003, 19:05
aiglon calls it correct. Assuming JAA:

Under 30 - 60 Months
30-49 - 24 Months
50-64 - 12 Months
65 Plus - 6 Months

That is straight off the back of mine.

Bubble reinflated.....

:cool:

BEagle
8th Feb 2003, 19:19
Miss Biggy - I concur with aiglon. I obtained a JAR Class 1 and reached a particular age during its period of validity. The expiry date of the medical was from the date of issue; it didn't suddenly expire at a different time just because I'd reached that particular age.

StrateandLevel
9th Feb 2003, 17:52
JAR-FCL3.105 (4)

A medical certificate issued prior to the holders 30th birthday will not be valid for Class 2 privilegres after his/her 32nd birthday.

Same rules both medicals!

Miss Bigglesworth
10th Feb 2003, 10:59
Thanks StraigtandLevel, just found out this myself from the CAA much to my disappointment!! (I didn't believe them at first and had to ask for faxed proof from the JAR manual!) The most annoying part of this is that this information is very much hidden on the CAA website. It does not appear on any of the publications which makes it an extremely ambiguous issue. The only place I could find it was the JAR Medical Sub-committee News in August 2000. Bizarre.
This is the only age where there is an extra restriction on the validity, so why don't they just have the 5 year validity up to the age of 27? Or the least they can do is explain it properly on the CAA validity page. Very misleading! Even my flying club had got it wrong.

Thanks for all your posts anyway, and I hope noobody else falls into the same trap!