PDA

View Full Version : Watch Managers at NERC

Numpo-Nigit
7th Feb 2003, 19:31
A member of the Elvis fan club tells me that one of the NERC WMs was offered a sum of money "to leave early". Perhaps it's a malicious rumour to suggest that management were too polite to mention the words "limited efficiency", but anyway he demurred. Perhaps they could start making similar offers to the poor, over-worked LASs?

Meanwhile, spare a thought for the 20% of NERC WMs who "took the King's shilling" and signed an individual contract (against the advice of Prospect) instead of remaining a SATCO. Apparently the much-heralded bonuses didn't filter down much below sandwich (cheese-ham) level, and the incumbent now has to subsist on an income somewhere below the top of the ATCO2 scale - barely enough to pay for his cigarettes.

terrain safe
7th Feb 2003, 20:04
Only one?;) ;)

or more to the point, which one??:confused: :confused:

Big Nose1
7th Feb 2003, 22:07
Terrain safe, I think Elvis may be the clue!!

63000 Triple Zilch
7th Feb 2003, 22:18
Numpo, if any of the Watch Managers took "the kings shilling" and retired early where on earth would they find a suitable replacement? Maybe they would look for an ATCO1+ to take promotion.The existing WS are all too "savvy" to apply so maybe you would have to find an ATCO1+ who
1, Works at Swanwick in a different area
2, Has not had to go through the rigours of a promotion board to become an ATCO1+
3, Has a good knowledge of Flow management
4,Is prepared to put in many hours of extra work to run their section
5, Is not overly concerned about union/management agreements over VN's, Promotion boards and other trifling matters

However I am sure that there is no-one at Swanwick who would fit the criteria............or IS THERE!!!

BDiONU
8th Feb 2003, 02:50
Why replace the WM? Surely the drive is to reduce from a WM per watch to 3?

BEXIL160
8th Feb 2003, 07:37
Take3 is right...

As I recall the "idea" was to ditch all the WMs and replace them with 3 Admin type "managers" who would cover 9 to 5 seven days a week.

Operational control would remain with the WS, much as happens now anway on some watches.

Rgds BEX

63000 Triple Zilch
8th Feb 2003, 16:24
Although there is a proposal to reduce the numbers and role of the WM this is still a long way from fruition! The reason that a WM may have been offered an inducement to go, is because 4 of the WM's are due to go wihin the next 18 months. The idea was to try to stagger the departures, MDI of 1 every 6 months!!

IThink
8th Feb 2003, 17:12
Ahh, so its got nothing to do with them being useless.:yuk:

Not Long Now
9th Feb 2003, 18:09
One of the TC WM's is apparently leaving imminently to take up one of the 3 new non-watch watch managers jobs at NERC. With another retiring in April, perhaps TC may also be heading down this route, albeit inadvertently?

zygote
9th Feb 2003, 21:28
I wonder what these non-Watch keeping Watch Managers will be doing.

:} :} :confused:

A I
17th Feb 2003, 10:42
It seems that the aforementioned King is leaving on the 31st March. Another move is that the other WM mentioned above is becoming the new boss of the ORO with the incumbent moving to the great unknown. Is this the start of the demolition of the much hated department (the office not the people - just to make it clear)

Who takes over A and D Watches is the subject of much speculation at the Dome.

My browser says that there has not been a post on the NATS forum for over thirty days. I do not subscribe, but, if this is true, then is it time to close it down? I have to admit that my enthusiasm for a separate forum has dimmed over the months.

AI