PDA

View Full Version : Thom Manuals

rocafellascunk
5th Feb 2003, 09:34
Does anyone know if the Thom Manuals have to be read in numerical order or can you pick the order you want to read them? I am soon to begin PPL training and I am halfway through vol 1.
Thanks for your help.
R

AerBabe
5th Feb 2003, 10:17
They can be read in any order, but it makes sense to start with number one!!!
They're generally best read briefly before you do the training, then in detail as you're doing it. Otherwise you'll be overwhelmed with information, and probably end up confusing yourself. Ask your instructor for advice as to which parts s/he thinks you should read next.
The met book can be read at any time, as it's not part of your flying training. However, if you're going to be taught met at a ground school, read the book in conjunction.
The only Thom book I wouldn't recommend buying is the RT one. Buy CAP 413 (?) instead, as it has everything you need in a much more user-friendly format, and will be up to date.

rocafellascunk
5th Feb 2003, 10:20
Thanks V much AerBabe!

skygazer
5th Feb 2003, 11:28
If you've got a reasonably fast internet connection (and a fair bit of printer paper!), CAP413 is available to download off the CAA website.

Pilot16
5th Feb 2003, 11:28
well, I found the R/T book quiet useful.

The only book that can be criticised (to an extent) is the NAV one which at times, overloads you with information.

P16

Mr Wolfie
5th Feb 2003, 17:43
I am about 3/4 of way through my PPL and have finished all the ground exams except Flight Performance & Planning.

I used the Trevor Thom books vols. 1 to 4, but used CAP 413 and the CAA Safety Sense leaflet for the RT exams, and the "Human Factors for Pilots" book for the Human Performance exam.

I can't really fault the Thom books except vol 1 (Flight Training). Having seen the equivilent Jeremy Pratt book I much preferred the layout, content and diagrams so purchased this as well. I therefore now always refer to Pratt vol 1 rather than Thom vol 1.

Some people think that the content of the Thom books go far in excess of what is required for the written exams , but I didn't find this a problem - better to know too much than too little.

Most students also swear by the "PPL Confuser". Haven't got this so can't comment (but am still consistently achieving 90 to 100% in the written papers without it).
:D

Mr W

(Good luck with training by the way)!

2WingsOnMyWagon
5th Feb 2003, 18:03
When I did my PPL, I used the J. Pratt books as I prefered the writing style (just a personal view) but I would certainly recommend using the confuser. It gives a good insite into the sort of questions you will get asked in the exams, however it should be used in conjunction with your text books as the explinations are short and there is also a few mistakes which can be misleading if you havnt studyed out of your text books! Also, the confuser dosnt include R/T:(

:ok:

rocafellascunk
5th Feb 2003, 18:27
Thank you everyone for your helpful advice.Long live pprune
R

AerBabe
5th Feb 2003, 18:51
Oh yes, I didn't use the HF Thom book either. I found the dark blue one, with the yellow diagram of humans on the front ( :O can't remember the author) good, but then I'm a biologist so it was all revision for me rather than new information...

I didn't use the confuser, but still managed to get >90% in all the exams. Except a/c tech, which I sat having not even opened the book, and still scraped a pass. I did then go back and study properly and resit. ;) The tests at the end of each chapter in the Thom books are much harder than the ones you'll get in the real exams, but are very good at checking just how much you've learned. No cheating!

You'll find that as your lessons progress you pick up a lot of information without noticing. And you'll learn a lot from reading this forum of course.

Thanks BRL, the cheque cleared this morning.

FlyingForFun
6th Feb 2003, 15:39
Agree with others. Don't bother with Vol 7. Cap 413 covers everything, and, what's more, Thom actually contradicts Cap 413 in places, and could confuse you.

No need to read them in order. In fact, there's no need to read Vol 5 unless/until you decide to do an IMC rating - it's not needed for the PPL at all! Just read each book before doing the exams. And the Confuser is definitely very useful for checking that you're up to speed on the subject before going into the exam, although it's not to be used as a learning tool.

Good luck!

FFF
---------