PDA

View Full Version : Ex Welshpool Instructors

window-seat
3rd Feb 2003, 15:01
Hi guys n gals

As an ex PPL student, I am trying to get in contact with Ex Welshpool Instructors (2000 & 2001). Here is a small list of names for starters:-

Simon Beales......(last seen at Pilot Assist)
Paul James....... (last seen with the Scottish Fishery Patrol)
Andy Daly......... (last seen heading of to france in an ATR)
Hue (the dentist)...(last seen leaving Welshpool)
Mike Boyd..........(last seen heading for an MCC course)
Richard Higham
Stuart (from Northwich)....(last seen at Tatenhill)

Any information would be greatfully recieved, for any personnal contact information, please email me.

Thankyou

W-S. :p

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Feb 2003, 16:51
[email protected]

Is the only contact I have out of that bunch, now living in the Manchester area so contactable.

Looks like I was in sunny Spain by the time you arrived.

Good luck,

ps I'd be interested to track down Simon myself so if you have any luck let me know.

robione
5th Feb 2003, 05:52
I instructed at Welshpool Oct 2001 and left a couple of months later to go do my IR.I have since been instructing for the owners at Tatenhill,but it died off big time in Oct last year,and i was the last instructor they had, and its a closed shop ive been informed till at least early spring.Sad, very sad im afraid.From one of the best flying schools to a tiny shadow of its former self,and sadly missed by instructors like myself.

Simon. I last spoke to him at Tatenhill.He was with P.A. but now it seems for the time,hes out of aviation and on a course to become a Corgi registered gas fitter.That news came to me from another name on the list who rings me every couple of months, and is currently labouring on a building site in Bournemouth.Good ole Richard.Stuart has had a hard time of late sadly losing both his parents within a short time and is also out of aviation.He left Tatenhill and i stepped into the breech part time,cos there was very little happening.Sadly i cant help with contact numbers, i dont have them,only the news ive posted.Just gives you an idea of how pretty grim things are at the mo. Me ? Im driving a hackney cab in Liverpool.Russell another instructor who was there at the same time is working in my local Asda, and part time instr in London.He had a job lined up with BMI and has been in the pool for over 2yrs now. Thats all the news i can offer im afraid.If and when Richard calls i will get his number and fwd it to you if you send me a contact for yourself.

Best of luck.

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Feb 2003, 14:28
Shame if SB has left aviation. He was a good pilot and a good CFI.

It is tragic to see a school that regularly pumped out 60 odd newly minted PPL's a year go to such a sorry state of affairs. The airfield now stands windswept and abandoned most of the time from what I can see.

I hope the long rumoured plans for massive development at Welshpool come to fruition sometime soon. Somehow I cannot be persuaded to hold my breath.

Shame, shame, shame.

Daifly
6th Feb 2003, 21:19
WWW,

Yep, it's not really moved on in quite the way everyone thought. Still, hope springs eternal.

There's a flying school there again: http://www.welshpoolairport.co.uk/

Brgds,

Dai.

ariel
8th Feb 2003, 14:49
Most of what is reported above is pure rubbish.

WWW - Welshpool is most definitely NOT 'windswept and abandoned'. We are up and running, and are fully licensed again, with both fixed wing and rotary schools operating from here.

The rotary school, Whizzard Helicopters, also offers commercial as well as private training, plus pleasure trips and charter.

We have NEVER closed, (as has been suggested by various posts on this forum); simply, the airport was quieter for a while after the departure of Pool Aviation, but ALWAYS operational.

For all of you out there; please do come and visit us - we are especially busy at the weekends, with the bacon butties again on offer!

Ps. The reason I know all this to be of the utmost accuracy is because I run the fixed wing flying school, which is now officially open.

Daifly: Yes, we have moved on, and yes, the URL you have supplied is the correct one for the new website - thank you for that.

I will close by saying this: Come and check us out for yourselves - don't listen to the rumours circulating on this thread. Also, if any ex instructor fancies working from here again on a freelance basis, come and talk to me - can't promise anything definite until I've met you, but feel free to contact me anyway.

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Feb 2003, 17:19
Hey look. I don't want to bash Welshpool airport. I want to see it vibrant, busy and successful. Like it used to be.

I want to see an expansion of its runway and basing of jets there.

I want to work there!

I am sorry but I have been in Welshpool overlooking the airfield on a good many glorious summer weekends last year without the sound nor sight of a single aircraft.

Even the airport noise protesters have packed up their campaign - thats pretty telling!

All power to your elbow. Though its mildly disingenous to use pictures of Welshpool in its heydey under Pool Aviation as promotional material for the current circumstances...

Never mind, good luck,

ariel
9th Feb 2003, 08:10

To what pictures are you referring??

All promotional material used presently has been re-designed; from the airport leaflets, to the website, to the flight training material we send out.

We do not want anything to do with Pool Aviation, and do not wish anybody to associate us with them, (accidental or otherwise).

Pool still have their website running, advertising flight training at Welshpool - obviously, I can't do anything about that; perhaps that is what you are referring to??

Again, we extend an open invitation to all - please come and visit us, you will be sure of a warm welcome.

If anybody wishes to contact me, my email is [email protected]

Splat
10th Feb 2003, 09:26
I was last there last October, and it was as busy as I've ever seen it, and I've been going there for about 10 years. It was friendly as always too, possibly more so.

No complaints from me, other than the behaviour of an old boy in the circiuit, but that's another matter outside their control.

Still on my list of places to visit.

Splat

Impressive_Wingspan
17th Feb 2003, 18:57
Got to agree with WWW, i called in at Welshpool last summer and it was V quiet, certainly nothing along the lines of when i was instructing there. And whilst not the biggest fan of a certain gypsy, and living in a caravan, i had some classic moments and made some good friends.
Do the new plans for the airfield include offering a similar type of PPL deal?

ariel
19th Feb 2003, 12:08
Fair comment, some days last summer were quiet, but that could be said for any airfield. On the other side of the coin, there were days last summer when we couldn't move for visiting aircraft, (plus airfield based aircraft flying). All this BEFORE we got our license back!

We have high hopes for a busy summer - certainly, the two schools are fast acquiring bookings, and there is plenty of self-fly-hire; also, more and more people are getting to realise that we ARE still here, and visitors are always around, obviously more so at weekends.

We are competitively priced with regards to training, (plus DON'T charge club fees), but at the moment, have no plans to integrate training packages with accomodation. Having said that, if anybody wishes to stay over, the barn/caravan park are still, (to my knowledge), taking people in: Alternatively, there are plenty of cheap places to stay here, if required.

Delta Wun-Wun
19th Feb 2003, 17:47
I wish you all the best. It is nice to see a thread about a GA airfield opening back up instead of another becoming a housing estate. Good luck.:D :ok: