PDA

View Full Version : Wind Reports

Tee
2nd Feb 2003, 20:52
The answers to two quick questions would be appreciated:-

1. When an ATCO gives the indicated surface wind direction/speed, what does the wind have to be doing before its termed as "gusting"?

2. Under what circumstances are continuous wind reports given to an aircraft on final approach?

Thanks!

Chilli Monster
2nd Feb 2003, 21:28
Gusts - 10kts or more greater than the mean.

Reports - As often as you want them or as often as the ATCO sees a marked change in the wind direction or speed. There are no laid down rules - common sense normally dictates it.

Tee
5th Feb 2003, 21:28
Thanks CM!

Continuing on the same theme, I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that deviations of 10 kts headwind, 5 kts crosswind and 2 kts taikwind are advised to pilots - in what circumstances would this be the case or am I talking rubbish?!

Chilli Monster
5th Feb 2003, 21:35
Only military towers have crosswind / headwind resolvers - or at least they used to have them. We've got no way of giving you that sort of information in the civil world and there's no requirement to.

Tee
5th Feb 2003, 21:56
Thanks again CM, that was quick!

I do a bit of FISO-ing and A/G-ing to keep the wolf from the door while pursuing an ATPL. In these lowly capacities, I'm never sure whether or not to proffer a 'wind check' if I observe a marked change in wind speed/direction - 50% of pilots appreciate it and the rest detest it. One or two (notably commercial pilots flying light singles at the weekend) ask to be 'talked down' wind-wise, which is something I experienced and was happy with when learning to fly.

Where do I stand and what should I be doing?

ModernDinosaur
5th Feb 2003, 22:12
Tee: I'm a low-time PPL (85 hours) and I like to receive wind checks on final if (as our Ops staff say) the "carrot's a bit bendy". In more scientific terms, if the wind is more that about 10-15 knots and swings by more than ~20 degrees, especially if between 40-60 degrees from runway heading, then I like to be told about it. That said, if I want it, I've got a radio and I can ask for it.

Just my 2 euro-cents.

MD

spekesoftly
5th Feb 2003, 22:32
Some UK civil ATC units are equipped with Vaisala displays, which in addition to the usual surface wind, can also be selected to show cross-wind and tail-wind components.

Barnaby the Bear
7th Feb 2003, 09:27
As a met observer you must report the total variation in wind direction if it is 60 degrees or more, and the wind speed is greater than 3 knots. This is applicable when producing half hourly obs. I would therefore include any variations like this when giving the wind to pilots. If you feel it pertinant.