PDA

View Full Version : Any RAF who had training in the USA during WWII or anyone who knows any stories ?

polzin
2nd Feb 2003, 02:40
Recently saw a TV progam here in the US where people in Florida talked about having RAF pilots into their homes on the weekends. There was apparently some competition to have these young decent brave men into the homes. The people inviting them also knew that many of these men would probably die. It was a wonderful program. Any one experience this or know of any one that did ?

paulc
3rd Feb 2003, 07:19
I recently attended a talk by Nick Berryman who did his RAF training in the USA, Arcadia in Florida was one place he mentioned (along with a few others) . His book "In The Nick of Time" covers his life until his flying career finished after WW2. He was lucky enough to fly Hurricane's, Spitfire's (air sea rescue!) Walrus (again air sea rescue) and Bolton Paul Defiant's.

He is very much involved with the Tangmere aviation museum in West Sussex UK and am sure you could buy a copy of his book from the museum.

hope this helps
regards
Paulc

GotTheTshirt
8th Feb 2003, 16:14
There is a very good video on Embery Riddle during the war.
They started in a place called Clewiston Florida and trained British pilots throughout the war.

The station, which was No 5 BFTS, even had a British C.O.
There is some interviews with Instructors and British pilots, then and now

Also some very good wartime footage.

Well worth viewing

It is produced by
WPBT Channel 2,
P.O.Box 2,
Miami, Florida 33261

Phone : (1) 305 949-8321.

Web site www.channel2.org

Title is "The Flying Days of Ridddle Field"

They have copies for sale ( Dont know the price) but UK viewers be careful of Format. Mine is NTSC but I have a dual NTSC/PAL machine.
I dont know if they have a PAL version.

If anyone is interested I will try and find out locally in Florida.

Captain Airclues
8th Feb 2003, 16:31
Falcon Field, near Phoenix, Arizona was established as a basic training airfield for the RAF during WW11. In a corner of the local cemetary at Mesa lie the 23 young men (ages 18-20) who didn't make it home. Reading the inscriptions on the gravestones can bring a lump to the throat.

Airclues

polzin
9th Feb 2003, 00:52
Captain....

I visit Mesa every winter and intend to buy my winter home there some day. I would love to visit those grave sites. Can you tell me which cemetary ?

You know how the English love to tease/criticise americans for their use of ice. One lady in the program said that when the RAF guys were first introduced to ice tea they could not understand why anyone would boil water to make tea and then use ice to cool it. But, she said that within a couple of weeks they had converted to iced tea.

It was such a wonderful program because just ordinary people expressed their love and concern for these fine men in their own words. It gets me right here.
kp

Captain Airclues
9th Feb 2003, 10:44
polzin

It is a very large cemetary, probably the main municipal cemetary if there is such a thing in the US. I think that it was on Country Club Drive. There is a Visitors Information Office, and they will give you a map. The RAF graves are immaculately maintained by a small group of British ladies. They are well worth a visit if you are in the area.
411A knows the area better than I do and may be able to give you better information.

Airclues

Lu Zuckerman
9th Feb 2003, 14:23
To: polzin
You know how the English love to tease/criticise americans for their use of ice. One lady in the program said that when the RAF guys were first introduced to ice tea they could not understand why anyone would boil water to make tea and then use ice to cool it. But, she said that within a couple of weeks they had converted to iced tea.

Add to that. Why they would add lemon to make it sour and then add sugar to make it sweet?.

:rolleyes: