PDA

View Full Version : Guidance sought!

Mr Ning Point
13th Mar 2002, 01:57
Yes, yes, I'm sure, this has been covered about a hundred times already on PPRUNE......but I can't find where!. .. .Anyway- I would REALLY like to know the way to become a proper, grown up airline (or indeed other commercial) pilot.. .. .Without giving too much away, I have approx 100hrs fixed wing (light a/c) and 120 hours rotary time, including about 20 hours first pilot/solo.. .. .Looking at the Ryanair site, I see they require an ATPL, 300 hours fixed wing time, and a multi instrument rating.. .. .So I would like to know: Where best to get an ATPL, and how much (roughly) is it likely to cost? What are the chances of a job afterwards? I realise that I won't walk straight into an airline, so what's the next step?. .. .All information greatly appreciated. Thanks for your patience!

Flyingspaniard
13th Mar 2002, 02:07
Go to OATS, Cabair, Bournemouth Commercial Flight Centre and basically any other advertiser in Flight International who run ATPL courses. Go to the free seminars and you'll find all you need to know.. .. .Briefly though you'll have to take 14 Ground Exams followed by some flight training in order to complete a commercial flight test. Then some more flight and simulator training in order to take an instrument rating test. After all this you will have a large debt in the region of say £40k or thereabouts.. .. .Then the hard work begins and you have to find a job as a "fully grown up airline pilot"... which anyone will tell you is not easy at the moment.