PDA

View Full Version : Vatsim

cb9002
31st Jan 2003, 00:04
May I ask the opinion of real-life NATS controllers on VATSIM?

Would it be worth taking the time to learn the system and join in, in order to make things easier at CATC Bournemouth, or whatever the place is called now?

Thanks

atco-matic
31st Jan 2003, 06:49
What is VATSIM???????

Gonzo
31st Jan 2003, 09:03
I know a few guys who are now waiting to start at CATC who are in VATSIM.

I reckon it does help. Gives you an idea of the very basic stuff and procedures. Shows enthusiasm and interest.

Gonzo.

Bern Oulli
31st Jan 2003, 17:00
I'm a real life NATS ATCO (some might argue) at CATC. Echoing atco-matic, what is VATSIM?

By the way CATC is now DAT&S. Tell me what VATSIM means and I'll tell you what DAT&S means (when I find out).

Edited because I can neither read or spell.

SpotterFC
31st Jan 2003, 18:20
VATSIM is Virtual Air Traffic SIMulator.

Not a member myself but several people on another board I occasionally frequent us it. Go to :

http://www.vatsim-uk.net/ (http://www.vatsim-uk.net) for more detail than I could provide.

I have no idea if the ATC side is modelled accurately or not (probably) but the scopie side seems waaaaaaay off the mark. Probably because by the time we get home after spending 7 hours on console like I did today ( :eek: ) we have NO interest in doing it all over again on the PC at home (and therefore no interest in letting the Virtual ATC fraternity in on 'the dark side')

rodan
1st Feb 2003, 00:57
Yowsa.

VATSIM = incredibly well organised spotters, by the looks of things.

Does it really 'work'?

R200EGNM
1st Feb 2003, 10:16
Hello,

Does it really work?? The answer to that is yes. I think you'd be surprised at how closely we mirror the real world, especially in the UK.

The procedures we use are taken from real world controllers, listening to the scanner, using the ais site, etc.

The pilots dont all fly round at 600kts on direct GPS as some people seem to believe. They adere to things like 250kts below FL100, they hold when levels are high, they fly SIDs/STAR's, they fly ILS's and various other none presision approaches, etc. Tney also file correct flightplans - not direct GPS as some people believe, Eg:

WOBUN2G WOBUN DCT WELIN T420 TNT DAYNE1A

The controllers follow the correct procedures, by issuing clearances, vectoring to the approach, streaming traffic, sticking things on parallel headings down the DTY corridor, etc etc. They learn some quite complex controlling skills - its quiet interesting watching them get a load of aircraft all at once at LOGAN and sorting them all out on the LAM3A before slinging them to the director. Also they have ideas of responsability, for example once an IFR aircraft leaves controlled airspace their service is downgraded from Radar Controlled to Radar Advisory. Its not a case of fly where you want and we will control you.

There are currently lots and lots of real world pilots and controllers participating on VATSIM, which is allowing VATSIM to bring their procedures even more in line as these people can advise the changes that need to be brought.

Like I say I believe that you would be surprised at how close to the real world VATSIM is, and it is continuing to get closer and closer. If you ever watch an event online you will see that they are handling traffic levels close to the real world and yet maintaining seperation, getting a BPK dept through the stream off BNN, etc.

I know several people who are members of VATSIM and have been accepted to go to Bournemouth and I can gurantee they will know a hell of a lot more than Mr Bloggs.

So to answer your question cb9002 I would join VATSIM. Its gives you an opportunity to learn the procedures, learn the skills, and generally give you that slight bit head start.

Bern Oulli
1st Feb 2003, 17:17
Well then, from the Department of Air traffic Training & Simulation, GOSH!. You learn something every day.

radar707
1st Feb 2003, 20:53
R200EGNM, how's life in Yeadon? I haven't been back to the fair city of Bradford for years, still a good night out I take it

cb9002
3rd Feb 2003, 13:05
Thanks for the replies guys - I was away over the weekend and couldn't see the board. Everything's pretty much been said for me - any other current controllers or CATC people with opinions on VATSIM?

Barnaby the Bear
4th Feb 2003, 08:17
I would wait until you get to the college. Learn the way the college want you to learn.

greg1
4th Feb 2003, 11:03
Just to chip in.

VATSIM currently boasts more than 50,000 members worldwide, including an impressive number of professionals from both sides of the scope. Realistic simulation of commercial aviation includes real-time metars imposed upon both "pilots" and "controllers". The new radar client, called ASRC or Advanced Simulated Radar Client (http://www.simclients.com/ASRC/asrc.htm#Website) is amazingly close to the real radar environment.

A final comment:

In VATSIM, one would normally find a professional controller trying to be a virtual pilot and a professional pilot trying to be a virtual controller. This is surely something that goes some way in bringing these two sides of the same coin closer together, aiding to better understanding each other. Not too bad a feat, considering the current situation with fam flights :p

GP-Canada
4th Feb 2003, 16:07
To echo the sentiments of others, VATSIM is a very realistic simulation. Many of the instructors are real-world trained, which enables the local FIRs and ARTCCs to provide an excellent service to their users. After the VATSIM experience, I applied to Nav Canada's program, was accepted, and have now passed my basic training course, I go to the Winnipeg ACC regional school next month to begin the on the job training aspect. Within my FIR (Edmononton FIR), we have a retired civilian controller and an active military controller (in addition to myself).

Yes, the current radar client (Pro Controller, or PC) is very unrealistic, however, a new client is about to be released that is almost photorealistic with the current systems in use in the United States; a EuroControl interphase is scheduled for the second version of this program (Advanced Simulated Radar Client, or ASRC).

I would highly reccomend VATSIM to anyone who is considering ATC as a career, or an aviation enthusiast. While I have not had occasion to fly in Europe; from what I have been told the quality of service is among the highest on the network.

Greg Phelan
Instructor - CZEG FIR

Nav Canada Training Institute Graduate
Winnipeg ACC

Kyprianos Biris
4th Feb 2003, 16:08
VATSIM main website

http://vatsim.net

Some samples for you to checkout from VATSIM events.

http://vatsim-eur.org/onesky.htm

http://avsim.com/greece/hvacc/events/intl_fly_ins/28h_fly_in.htm

http://avsim.com/greece/hvacc/events/intl_fly_ins/5th_fly_in.htm

Mark139
4th Feb 2003, 17:05
For me VATSIM provides a glimpse into the aviation world even though it's a simulated world.

The overload events where we test the servers, controllers & pilots to the limits are fantastic. I believe that traffic levels have reached "real world" values during the overload events.

Cheers and keep up the excellent work you all do in "The real world of aviation"
Mark

Tipple7
4th Feb 2003, 17:12
In RW I have 17,000hrs, 4 stripes and a shiny 777 to fly.

I also spend hundreds of hours per year online at VATSIM 'controlling'. It's as hard to do well as anything that I do in the air. The guys there are doing a fantastic job of making this simulation as real as it can be. With the VATSIM community (and it is exactly that) I meet those who make me grateful that I have a job many envy, as well as trying my damndest to do a job that I would have loved to do in rw - it also improves my understanding of the ATC system no end.

For the benefit of dubious Real Controllers - the VATSIM members come from all age groups and many professional classes. They do have one thing in common though - a tremendous respect for the job you do so incredibly well, and a not unnatural ambition to emulate or even one day achieve.

If I meet a wannabe pilot I try my damndest to encourage and participate in their enthusiasm. Why not do the same?

LiamMc
4th Feb 2003, 19:03
Hi all.

As a frequent user of VATSIM both as a pilot & as a (Virtual)ATCO, it is something that I find extremely helpful in helping me work towards my goal of becoming an ATCO or Pilot (in that order). I've been a member of VATSIM (used to be SATCO) since December 2000 and since then it has been one hell of a learning curve.

Learning the phraseology (sometimes can be diverged from real-world but that is to be expectes) and also becoming competent 'on the mic' surely has to be one of the greatest benefits of it all.

Of course it is impossible to mirror the real-world EXACTLY, considering its over the internet, but in my honest opinion, it is extremely well organised and the access to real world knowledge is endless.

With the help of the UK AIP, us wannabee's can download the charts, get familiar with them & put them into practise. In addition, practise of mayday/pan-pan sitations, although obviously it is not as crucial as in real-world situations (the phone calls, the omni-crash etc) it does surely lie us in good stead for the future?

I could go on for ever, but I will spare you :O

Liam Mc
One of the Scottish Dudes on 129.22

PS. 2nd try at this post, the last one ended up in EGLL Tower visit for some reason lol... I do not speak for the rest of VATSIM so do not judge us on my idiocity LOL

Phantom99
4th Feb 2003, 21:15
I am a regular user of the VATSIM network, both flying and controlling, and am rated as an Instructor in the UK setup.

However I have no illusions that the knowledge I have, is at all comparable to that of real ATCOs.

I was lucky enough to be offered a place at Bournemouth by NATS to start 31st March, and I have to admit I would not have passed the technical interview if I had not been involved in VATSIM. I was able to quote from the AIP, to describe the procedures involved in handoffs from controller to controller, describe the London TMA organisation etc etc...

I am also a PPL student, and using voice communication over the network gives me immense confidence in discourse with controllers at Exeter and beyond, to the extent of being a safety pilot for a previous employer flying Navajos.

I will be very careful to distinguish between the real world and VATSIM, but it has helped me to a dream career (hopefully :O ) and above all....it's fun :p

Gonzo
4th Feb 2003, 21:41
Phantom99,

Do I know you? :suspect:

:D

Gonzo.