PDA

View Full Version : US Airways

BBriscoe
30th Jan 2003, 22:32
Where are USAir's HQ located?

Where is there main hub?

galaxy flyer
31st Jan 2003, 01:21
USAir is based in Washington D.C. area, Alexandria, VA, I think. Hubs are Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Charlotte. Used to have big operation in DC, but it has shrunk, post-9/11

BBriscoe
31st Jan 2003, 09:53
What is their main hub in the Washington D.C. area?

Where are most of their A321's based?

Iv got a friend in the states who might be being transfered onto the A321, and he wasn't sure where he was going to be based.

seacue
31st Jan 2003, 12:48
US Airways offices are in the Crystal City highrise office/appartment development which overlooks Washington National / DCA. That is in Arlington, Virginia, though the Alexandria city limits are at the southern border of the airport.

US is the largest carrier at DCA. They used to have a big presence at BWI, inherited when they took over Piedmont. Southwest has largely driven them out of BWI. US has a few flights from IAD.

DCA is not a US hub, but has a lot of connecting traffic from USAir Express. US Express is still mostly turboprop at DCA.

In the old Allegheny Airlines/Ed Colodny/ days, the airline's exectutive suite was in the NW corner of the northern hangar at DCA. It was said to be an example of VERY understated "luxury". Apparently that wasn't good enough for the new folks when it became US Air. US Air has even taken the historical plaque off the hangar entrance that went to the old offices.

Forgot to include this URL of a webcam on the top of a building close to US Airways headquarters. The camera is pointed in various directions during the day. [1 Feb - Sorry about the images, we have had poor visibility ever since I posted the URL. The cam points at DCA from time to time, especially at night.]

http://images.ibsys.com/dc/images/weather/auto/citycam_640x480.jpg

Desk Driver
4th Feb 2003, 08:03
US air main international hubs are Pittsburgh, Charlotte & Philadelphia........

ExSimGuy
5th Feb 2003, 11:08
Regrettably, post-9/11 and the "downturn", PIT may no longer be an international hub as the LGW flights at least appear to have finished:(

I flew LGW-PHL last wek and even after reducing the flights from 2 a day to 1, the cabin was very underpopulated

Desk Driver
6th Feb 2003, 07:05
Well your right PIT was dropped during the "Slack" months.

But.

It's set to return on the 9th March on a 767 and then in the summer on a 333.

Also as of the 8th June the PHiLly flights return to 2 a day.

All this subject to Bush, Blair & Sadass allowing of course.

p.s. The way things are at the moment US are set to emerge from Chap 11 one of the strongest outfits around.

Desk Driver
11th Feb 2003, 12:55
I just read that LON - PIT was suspended temporarily because US needed to rotate each long-haul aircraft out of service for maintenance that took longer than one overnight.

Could be PR crap to hide very poor loads though.

BTW.

Whoever e-mailed me I could not read it. If you still want to please try again

B767300ER
11th Feb 2003, 23:46
USAirways just ordered 10 A330-200s, which I assume will replace their 11 B-767-200s. Looks like they're heading ALL Airbus. What a bloody shame.

jc2354
12th Feb 2003, 01:15
From the Charlotte Observer, we now know where two of the A330's are.
............................................................ .......
Posted on Tue, Feb. 11, 2003

US Airways jets join military lift
Pentagon uses part of force available through commercial contract
SARAH JANE TRIBBLE
Staff Writer

US Airways is sending two passenger planes in response to a Pentagon order that 22 commercial airlines help move military forces overseas as part of a buildup in the Persian Gulf.

The dominant Charlotte carrier plans to provide two wide-body A330 planes to transport soldiers from military bases to undisclosed locations overseas. It is only the second time since World War II that the Civil Reserve Air Fleet has been mobilized.

Each of the US Airways planes has 266 seats. About a dozen crew members and mechanics are assigned to each aircraft. Airline spokesman Dave Castelveter said the company has not cancelled any commercial flights to support the effort.

Airlines sign volunteer contracts and are reimbursed for the military's use of their aircraft, said Capt. Stephen Honda, spokesman for the U.S. Transportation Command.

US Airways and the military declined to say what the contract is worth.

The government can activate commercial aircraft in three stages, depending on the need for planes. Stage I is the lowest activation, Stage II would be used for major regional contingencies and Stage III would be used for a national mobilization.

In this first stage, the U.S. Transportation Command is authorized to activate 78 commercial planes, including 47 passenger aircraft and 31 cargo aircraft, to transport soldiers and supplies. For now, the government said it is only going to use some of the authorized planes.

The Civil Reserve Air Fleet is generally used when the Defense Department's transport needs exceed the capability of the U.S. military aircraft.

Stages I and II were activated during Operation Desert Shield and Storm in 1990 and 1991. Stage III has never been activated. If all three stages were activated, US Airways said it would send 19 planes.

"These are aircraft that the military doesn't have to have on inventory and maintain," Honda said. "It's a partnership with the civilian transportation companies."

Desk Driver
12th Feb 2003, 08:31
And todays good news

US Airways won government approval Tuesday for a $900 million loan guarantee

Exit chapter 11 at your discresion

Well done guys!