PDA

View Full Version : FIC, Invest or not?

Snigs
29th Jan 2003, 07:19
Having been languishing in the doldrums of the business since 10th September 2001, (when I got my UK frozen ATPL), and not having any luck with getting a job (I’ve only got 250 hours), I was wondering if you’d supply some opinion.

I have the opportunity to do an FIC in a couple of weeks, and although I know that I’ll never get the return on my cash investment, I see it as an investment in hours that, if I don’t fancy instructing for the rest of my life, will make me more attractive to the airlines etc.

The questions are:
How saturated is the market with unemployed FI’s?
Do you see the demand for PPL’s dropping off, especially in the wake of a war, and in light of the economic situation here?
Should I use the money for something else?

Charlie32
29th Jan 2003, 14:00
To answer your questions in order
1) I can only speak for the NE. At the moment the market does seem saturated with FIs, but this tends to be cyclical
2) There is likely to be a downturn in demand, not only because of the factors you mention, but unfortunately because of the ever increasing costs of providing flight training out of licensed airfields
3) It is difficult to advise whether the investment of circa £5K is going to be valuable or not. In the not so distant past there were FOs on Gill who had about the same hours as you.
Finally I would say that you should only do an FIC if you think you will enjoy instructing. If you view it soley as a means of hours building you are likely to end up miserable and frustrated, and that probably won't help you progress to the airlines.
I must stress these are only my personal opinions. You are facing a decision that many others have had to face, and at the end of the day only you can decide.

G-SPOTs Lost
30th Jan 2003, 17:26
The other question is

Do you really think you should get into it as a second best option because you can't get an airline job and you dont want to be doing it forever.

You cant do Air taxi for another 350 hours at least (assuming an AOC holder would let you lose single crew at 600 hours) and those 350 hours would equate roughly to a busy years instructing.

So ask yourself this are you going to get an Airline job with 250hours NOT in the next 12 months but in 12 months time???

If you think you are then save the money and buy something nice.

Dont make the mistake of thinking lots of hours will get you an Airline job it wont in my opinion. Ive been instructing for three years with 1k hours IRI/Night etc etc and I cant think of an Airline who's realistic (Not published) minimum criteria I meet at the moment..

Anyway good luck

Wee Weasley Welshman
31st Jan 2003, 00:41
I'd do it IF I could relocate anywhere in the EU for a FI job AND live on £800 a month whilst doing so.

Good luck,

Loony_Pilot
31st Jan 2003, 22:30
Hi,

I think you'll get more than 350 hours a year.. I had a quiet year in 2002 and still managed just shy of 400 hours. My school isnt very busy and full time I think 500hrs a year is a realistic proposistion for me in 2003.

In the current climate you'll be instructing for more than 12 months.. the money is very very crap... £800 a month.. I havent made anywhere near that yet in a month... but it is flying, its enjoyable and you'll get a lot out of it.. if you put a lot into it.
The reasons for low intructors salaries..well.. the fact that for every £10 I earn the taxman is taking £40.. doesnt help a lot... but there are many many reasons.

There are instructing jobs around, you just have to look for them...best thing to do is to visit schools all around the place.. dont send a CV.. take one in personally.. most flying schools are fairly small companies... someone that fits in is a big must!

Of course, for most of us instructing is a stepping stone to the airlines.. but be prepared to do it for a while.

LP

Snigs
2nd Feb 2003, 13:31
Thanks for the advice, and all points duly noted.

I am acutely aware that with the forecasts ranging from a slump to a "slow down" in the economy, there may not even be people to instruct let alone airline jobs. But I'm also aware that should I ever get an interview for a flight deck job they're going to ask me, what have you been doing since you qualified and how many hours have you flown in the last 6 months. My answers to these questions are embarrassingly woeful.

There are two thing I see here that an FIC will help me with;

1) It'll improve my flying significantly
2) You have to be in the avaition environment to make the contacts.

As to the comment about would I enjoy instructing. I have spent a lot of time taking friends and colleagues flying and after I've given them a briefing I've let them take control for a while, it's fantastic to see the thrilled look on their faces as they turn the airplane around. It reminds me of the thrill I felt the first time I did it, what could be more enjoyable?

Oh and in case you haven't guessed, I've decided to take the plunge?

Cheers all :)

Mister Geezer
3rd Feb 2003, 19:56
Snigs - nice one - I wish you all the very best!

One of my old PPL instructors said to me that doing the FI course is the best career step I could of taken - I now know why and I fully agree with him!

Your first point is very valid and doing the FI course has left me no option than to really sharpen up my flying! The IR seems very straight forward compared to the FI course and test!!! I am looking forward to eventually passing the test and knowing that my flying is better than it used to be! When it comes to the IR you know that the examiner and your instructor will let you away with +/- 100 ft but when it comes to the FI course it is clear that +/- 100 ft is not good enough! I have now noticed that a CPL is not really a licence to earn money but most and foremost a licence to which allows you to learn!

Go for it!

Cheers! ;)

Gazeem
4th Feb 2003, 18:21
Snigs,

good move, I don't think you will regret it.

Having recently completed the FIC course, I can say it was the best part of my training so far.

After a few hours you'll probably be wondering how you managed to fly before you started the course. It's like the 'everything you should know about flying - but felt too silly to ask course'. You learn heaps.

Jobs are around, you have to look and a few FIs have moved on to bigger things in the SW recently,

Bon Chance

Gaz

muppet
5th Feb 2003, 18:33
Snigs,

sorry to post retrospectivly as it were, but yes, a lot of excellent advice here.

I would strongly recommend the FI and all the add ons. It worked for me. Good way of keeping your SEP current as well.

When you get your dream job you can still do a little instructing for fun, which is great. Should you be unfortunate enough to end up in an outfit where you only actually hand fly the beast in the sim, you will need to fly 'real' a/c to maintain your scan/handling skills.

Don't forget we got into this because we love flying.

You do need to be around aircraft/airfields/training/pilots etc to pick up the gossip and tips. Everyone out here has a CPL/IR fATPL 250 hrs, you need to be different.

Night Rider
7th Mar 2003, 14:20
Snigs,

I would echo the opinions of many of the others.

Only do an FI course if you really want to instruct. If your just doing it to build hours forget it - at the end of the day you won't do yourself or your students any good at all.

Best of luck,;)

Snigs
24th Mar 2003, 16:10
Well, I did it, I passed my FIC test yesterday. :D

It was a thoroughly enjoyable course (but intense), and now I really know how to fly properly!! :eek:

Thanks to the FTO (they'll know who they are), and thanks to my training buddy, who made me laugh loads.

Plus a silver lining, I've already been offered a job (part-time) instructing on a Saturday, so I'm just waiting for the docs to be processed by the CAA. :cool:

I'm looking forward to dealing with a real student, I guess the learning now starts!!!

Ronbmy
24th Mar 2003, 17:18
Congrats Snigs.

From one who has a loooong way to go.

Delta Wun-Wun
24th Mar 2003, 17:31
Snigs,
Well done from another newly qualified Instructor. If you ask the school offering you work to fax the CAA with the details they will get your rating back to you in double quick time, so that you can get started.
Well Done
DWW:D :cool: :D :cool: ;)