PDA

View Full Version : Airfield conditions at Rochester

Kirstey
27th Jan 2003, 12:29
Hi there folks..

Considering a sortie to Rochester at the w/e.. can any locals/visitors advise me as to the condition of the runways/taxiways etc??

cheers in advance.

K

AerBabe
27th Jan 2003, 12:38
Give the tower a call, they'll be able to tell you.
From what I've heard it's very muddy though. Unsurprisingly. :D

SteveR
27th Jan 2003, 12:52
It's actually not been tooo bad this winter (probably because my group decided to incur increased cost by moving our a/c to Lydd for the winter).

At the weekend, I fancy that it'll still be reasonable - the weather's about to get very cold and strong Northerlies are predicted. This'll hopefully freeze dry, and blow dry the runways.

Steve R

eveepee
27th Jan 2003, 14:37
Kirstey :

Had a lesson on Friday...still no circuit work allowed and we used the relief runway 20 but I managed to take off and land OK.

The taxiways were very muddy and potholed ("Watch the nosewheel" advice from my instructor!), and I needed quite a bit of power to keep going. There was even standing water in some areas.

As Aerbabe says it would be a good idea to call the tower beforehand though as I have lost count of the number of times my lessons for circuit bashing have been cancelled these past 3 months.

Hope you make it..perhaps we'll meet up there sometime.:)

Eve

indiaoscar
27th Jan 2003, 21:39
I went over there by car today and there were a few movements but no circuits again. Hopefully the winds expected in the next day or two will help if there's not too much more rain - fingers crossed.

Cynthia