PDA

View Full Version : a waste of money or...

number
27th Jan 2003, 12:02
I would desperately like to get in touch with any pilot who did one of the Eagle Jet first officer programs and then got hired thanks to that course.
I've been checking this forum, the wannabe one and I didn't find anyone, not even someone who happend to know someone else who did that training and got hired.
I'm asking this, because I'd like to convince myself that I'm not wasting my money.
thanks
[email protected]

Maximum
27th Jan 2003, 12:25
My opinion only, but I think you have to be very careful about schemes like this.

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself:

1.) Do you have a green card? If not, once you've done the program, no operator in the USA will employ you.

2.)What do the associated companies get out of this? Answer - your money and someone to sit in the right seat who they don't have to pay!!

I don't know which program you intend doing, but paying for first officer time in a Navajo for example is basically worth jack sh*t.

The bottom line is, when you go to an airline interview and they start probing you about this flying, and it comes out you paid for it, most airlines will see it as worthless. Unfair maybe, but human nature being what it is, they'll be thinking, "huh, he couldn't get a job so he had to pay for it".

Kinda like trying to impress a girl that you're the greatest lover ever and then telling her you've always paid for it!:eek:

Be careful.

BlueCross
13th Feb 2003, 05:56
That's something I would like to look into as well. I do realize paying to work is generally not the way to go, but with insurance minimums and all being so high now, you have to get the hours somehow! And I'm sure you'd learn lots. C'mon.. I'm sure SOMEONE here has taken part in such a first officer program?

Onan the Clumsy
13th Feb 2003, 17:37
I did an SIC program hauling checks part 135. No jet time mind, but after that, I stayed on as PIC. I think it's a good way to build time and I think the flying you do is fairly respectable and definitely a rung on the flying ladder. I don't think prospective employers would turn their noses up at it - at least I HOPE not.

Don't know how closely this resembles what you're talking about but it sounds like there are some similarities. The comment about the Green Card is probably fair though.

Perhaps you could give us some more details.

BlueCross
13th Feb 2003, 23:36
Well at least for me the situation is I'm in canada, but I would do the flight time in the states, and then return to Canada once I have enough hours. So a green card shouldn't be an issue, as I wouldn't be seeking employment in the US. Also Eagle Jet makes it clear you'd only need a student visa to take part in their program.