PDA

View Full Version : A340 - drivers

flyingdream
27th Jan 2003, 01:35
Lets talk about crosswindlandings.

Once while riding in the backseat of the 340-sim the copilot were making crosswindlandning. Approx 10 degrees of crab until 15 feet and then full left rudder until touchdown, he kept wingslevel, but never tried to land with crab.

I know 747 are certified for crablandings but are the 340?

How do you perform crosswindlandings?

Fd

jtr
27th Jan 2003, 03:07
Generally all the x-wind landings where the x is greater than 5 konts, the mob I work for would drop a wing in the 340, when kicking it straight. Makes for a more comfortable crunchdown

When I converted to the -400, and did my first landing (in a 15 kt x-wind) and dropped the wing a bit, the guy in the lhs had a fit.

Pod scrape is a real concern, so they a touchy about it.

In my experience, the 340 has a much greater tendency to drift than the -400 (inertia) and so you can disregard the need for a wing drop below about 25 knots

CaptSnails
29th Jan 2003, 05:18
Flyingdream you're absolutely correct in your description. What you described is the recommended Airbus x-wind landing technique for the A340.

Airbus does not state that landing with crab is not recommended they do however mention that routine use of aileron into the wind is not recommended.
From experience I can tell you that in strong x-winds the aircraft behaves perfectly during touchdown with a crab. Once main landing gear (bogies) are down the use of rudder to center the aircraft on centerline is very straight forward prior to derotation. Being a four engine aircraft it has excellent lateral stability.
Hope this helps.

flyingdream
29th Jan 2003, 08:36
It helped a lot, thanks guys, so what do you think about it?

Compare landing with max x-vind component in the 340, compared to landing with max x-vind in a smaller "lean into the wind" aircraft. wich is the easier one to land?

FD

just curious about you big guys

CaptSnails
31st Jan 2003, 05:43
Flyingdream there seems to be this misconception that "big" airplanes are harder to fly. Absolutely not true.
In many instances they are actually easier, for example approach. Because the aircraft is much more stable than a small aircraft and has a lot more momentum it tends to be rock solid on approach. You configure the thing and its capable of landing on its own without any control movement. A small aircraft has to be flown all the way down not the A340.

To answere your question on the x-wind landings in a particular I would say that from a pilot prospective it's probably the same thing. Bare in mind that being a fairly large aircraft it obviously occupies much more of the runway and unlike a small aircraft with which you can probably get away with being off centerline here you need to be much more careful and understand your lateral limitations. Other than that I would say that it is pretty much the same.