PDA

View Full Version : TRACON for windows help needed

PhilLUFC
27th Jan 2003, 00:19
I have recently downloaded TRACON and the help file only states differences to the manual which I don't have.

Having only just applied to NATS, I know nothing about practical ATC and haven't got a clue what to do, I gave it a go but don't fully understand the flight info so don't know where to direct things. I thought I had figured it but I kept getting missed approaches!!

I also assumed that handing off just before the border would mean the plane would fly off and that would be job done, not circle around and fly in for approach!

Sorry if this appears trivial but a few pointers and/or a link to an online help for the game would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Phil

Plazbot
27th Jan 2003, 01:49
Phil my man you got a link to where u dowloaded it from?

PhilLUFC
27th Jan 2003, 13:20
I got it from here

TRACON for Windows (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=U&start=6&q=http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php%3Fname%3DTracon%2520for%2520Windows&e=912)

Phil

Bigears
27th Jan 2003, 17:38
You didn't say if you'd looked in the folder to see if there is a manual there........

PhilLUFC
27th Jan 2003, 19:49
Give me some credit! I am not that stupid, thats the 1st place I looked.

I usumed I'd made that clear by saying that I'd read the readme file.

There is no manual with it and it says on the web site where I got it that there is no documentation included.

Phil

250 kts
27th Jan 2003, 20:05
Phil,

Never usume (sic) anything in ATC- and with an attitude like that are you sure ATC is really for you??????

Chilli Monster
27th Jan 2003, 21:27
Phil

Going back about 10 years so the memories possibly hazy - however:

Open up the airports data file with a text editor (windows notepad or wordpad will do). Each airport will hava 4 digit Final Approach Fix level in the region of 1500-2500ft. You have to establish the aircraft at this level at the FAF for it to commence an approach and land. There is another key function which will get the aircraft to fly the approach but that info is all in the 'Help' tool in the utilities bar along the top.

CM

eastern wiseguy
27th Jan 2003, 22:15
Try a gaming site perhaps? There used to be a bunch of pseudo atco's looking for people to become sector controller on their such and such sector.....I don't remember the name of the site but I am sure someone will. Failing that a quick post on the computer/internet issues forum might get you some assistance.The use of smileys also stops people thinking you have a stroppy attitude..not a wonderful attribute for a trainee/student/cadet ATCO ;)

Bigears
27th Jan 2003, 23:01
Phil- This isn't meant to sound patronising, but I have to work with the facts you give. The 'help' file (what you originally referred to) meant more of a function of the program (to me) than a 'readme' file, which is obviously text based info. Maybe my mistake, but perhaps your first lesson in ATC- assume nothing- as has been pointed out already by 250kts.
I don't know that you're not that stupid- its not personal! :p

I've searched for a manual for you, but no luck, sorry.

However, I do have some suggestions about your choice of future career- get an airband radio, search the internet for info, and make a visit or two to ATC units- if you can prove yourself knowledgeable and proactive, then you'll have a better chance than someone who has 'just' played an ATC PC game, IMHO.
If you're already doing these things, then good.
Out of interest, whats the attraction in ATC?

PhilLUFC
28th Jan 2003, 19:30
250 kts: :( My reply was meant to be light hearted banter rather than a serious comment. I was a bit shocked to read your reply, but on reading my post again I can understand why. Eastern wiseguy appears to have seen it as it was meant, maybe he is right about the use of smilies though ;) .

Chilli Monster: Thanks for the help, will have a look later.

Eastern Wiseguy: Thanks for the tip(s).

Bigears: We'll put it down to a missunderstanding and get on with it (the file was named readme.txt so it was probably my fault). Thanyou for taking the trouble to look for a manual for me, it's appreciated.

Planning visits is my 1st priority (assuming the selection test results due by friday are positive), to both a NATS and a non-NATS unit. The ATC game was my idea of a 1st step that even if I am unsucessful should prove to be fun. The airband radio idea hadn't occured to me but dad has one lying around somewhere so I'll dig it out.

Attraction of ATC? I would be lying if I said it was what I'd always wanted to do, in fact I hadn't even thought of it until the last year or so. The main reason is the general challenge of the job, I have always liked spatial awareness puzzle games and mental challenges.

Stress aside (which I think I can cope with) everything I have read has been possitive, you all seem to love your jobs which is quite a rare thing. But the main reason is that it is something I think I could be good at, the more I think about it and read about it the better it sounds to me.

Phil

Dances with Boffins
29th Jan 2003, 12:19
I've got a manual for TRACON here. :D :D :D
If you e-mail me at [email protected] with your address, I'll try and scan in the bits you need and send them back.

We don't rate TRACON very highly, and chucked it in a cupboard. Ditto ATC SIMULATOR, which has a pants 'Voice recognition' feature, which only recognises US citizens.

TOWER was a reasonable attempt at aerodrome control, which doesn't give you a true impression of controlling airport traffic, but does give you an idea of how busy life can get. There are a few sites offering it as a download, but I don't know if they will include manuals or not.

ATC is a good place to work [even allowing for some of the issues with 'company stuff'], so follow all the advice given in the links at the top of the forum, and maybe you'll be doing it for real sometime soon. ;)

PhilLUFC
29th Jan 2003, 15:46
Dances with Boffins: Thankyou, e-mail on it's way. I've heard Tower is a bettor option, I downloaded it as well but it doesn't seem to like windows XP very much. Avoided ATC simulator for the reason you mentioned, I knew it was american and I don't know how differently (if at all) they do things so I thought it best to stick with a british ATC sim.

Phil

Dances with Boffins
30th Jan 2003, 12:35
Sorry to disappoint, but TRACON is as American as 'Mom's Apple Pie' as it was written by a bunch of Texans.:} [Sorry Scott]
I've put the bits from the manual concering 'handoffs' ;) in the mail, but if you want to see UK ATC, get thee to your nearest Tower or Centre. Manchester has both, but Birmingham and Stansted have been quite accommodating in the past.

edited for spelling

PhilLUFC
3rd Feb 2003, 16:30
Dances with Boffins: I didn't realise TRACON was american, but it doesn't really matter at the moment as I found out today that I have failed the selection tests.

Phil

Don't Tell Him Pike
3rd Feb 2003, 23:43
I realise you must be feeling down at the moment, but if you're really serious about getting in to the job, apply again. There are numerous valid ATCOs working for NATS who got in at the third time of asking. The number that get in on their first go is quite a small percentage.

Chin up etc etc

Pike

PhilLUFC
4th Feb 2003, 16:11
I intend to re-apply. I have asked for a full break down of my results so I can see where I went wrong as I thought it went quite well.

But if it's got anything to do with that 248 question phycometric test I might consider not re-applying as in theory that should give the same result every time.

Phil

Bev Bevan
4th Feb 2003, 16:28
You mean the 248-question personality questionnaire? That has no bearing on the test results...so far as i know, it is used as a basis for the personnel interview at the second stage.