PDA

View Full Version : No fence's stop kids and pets.

Mitzi.
26th Jan 2003, 20:21
O.k. 'me' as an enthusiast, understands that, U.K. Railways have to be fenced off, to prevent 'in-advertant encroachement'. I visit a local airfield (U.K. kent. England), where in 5 seconds a kid can be airside. No fences exist just a sign, which to a kid means ??????. I'm no Lawyer, but when it comes to parental control..../ vs liability...over to the experts.

p.s. seen dogs here too, not on a lead "Boy can a labrador run fast".

p.p.s. answers that say the 'parent'/s are at fault, any takers..

sss
26th Jan 2003, 20:29
i think they need to have a fence, even a small one just to cover themselves on a liability front.

blondie118
2nd Feb 2003, 19:32
A friend of mine works at an airfield in the south and was in the tower one summer evening. He looked out at the rumway and saw a boy on a bike cycling down the runway!!

The boy had decided that he wanted to get from one side of the airfield to the other and the quickest route was along the runway!

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Feb 2003, 01:24
Maybe he'd been watching ET

PaperTiger
3rd Feb 2003, 01:52
Kinder, gentler times of course but there was a public road across RAF Oakington. Closed during ops but open at other times. Used to ride my bike across as a lad and was sorely tempted to see just how far I could get down the runway before the Land Rover caught me. I never did, but my mates swore they made it to the very end one day and nobody even noticed. ;)

A Very Civil Pilot
4th Feb 2003, 11:22
Not sure which airfield you were at, but I think Headcorn has a public footpath across the runway.

phnuff
4th Feb 2003, 12:03
Some years ago, I remember starting my T/O run in a 152 at the Clacton strip and on cresting one of the undulations that exist, suddenly realised that there was a bloke walking a dog right in front of me. Any sensible person seeing something fairly large and metal with a 3 foot mincing machine in front would have moved out of the way asap. This guy just stood and stared. I managed to get airborne a bit earlier than I had planned and flew right over him. From memory, I believe that there is a footpath across it (although I am willing to be corrected). Is the footpath still there or was it a figment of my imagination ? and . . .of course, who had right of way, me or him ??

chiglet
4th Feb 2003, 17:56
RAF Binbrook had a 5foot three bar wooden "Security" fence:=
This was at the "Public Car Park Area" as well as the rest of the perimiter:confused:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

compressor stall
5th Feb 2003, 09:02
Daru in southern PNG had a notam out about a year ago advising of people and livestock on the Runway. It is actually an international airport! There would have been about 30 people and animals when I joined crosswind. By final they had vacated....

Not unusual in these parts at all.

ExSimGuy
5th Feb 2003, 11:28
Shoreham Airport has full public acces to the peri road - and picnickers, peeps trying to learn to drive, etc.

Main problem there though, is the other way around; with one aircraft "landing" on the beach nearby, and another trying to land on the adjacent railway line but making it to the roof of a house instead :)