PDA

View Full Version : Flying Club Member Check Rides

Speedbird252
25th Jan 2003, 23:41
Evening all...

Reading an interesting thread on currency made me come up with this question:

Flying Clubs in the UK have varying requirements regarding renting their aircraft Vs the last time you were P1. As in, if I havent managed to fly for 6 weeks P1 in a club aircraft, I need to do a 1 hour refresher with an Instructor. Some say that for them it is 6 months.

Given the current and typical Uk Met, in extreme cases you could spend most of your annual flying budget doing refreshers with an Instructor!?

What is the ruling at your flying club?

:confused:

BEagle
26th Jan 2003, 07:27
It's usually an insurance requirement which drives the 'currency' requirement. For licence holders at our Club, the rule is that to fly as aircraft commander you must have flown one of our aircraft within the previous 45 days. Plus you must also have flown an annual club check in the previous 12 months.

knobbygb
26th Jan 2003, 09:18
Must have flown in same or similar type within 30 days for newly qualified pilots (less than 100hrs). Once over 100hrs, must have flown similar type within 90 days. This can be either on club aircraft or elsewhere. The checkout, if required, depends on competence, as judjed by the instructor, and can be as little as a couple of circuits. No fixed 'annual' checkout requied as long as the above is adhered to.

indiaoscar
26th Jan 2003, 22:10
As I understand the rules at my club I must have flown a club aircraft as either PIC or PUT within the last 28 days. If I can't meet this requirement I am required to do a minimum of 3 circuits with an instructor, but the instructor's time is not charged for if he is satisfied by the 3 circuits. If he requires further circuits (which has not happened to me so far) then I will be charged for the extra ones at the current instruction charge rate.
In addition, regardless of recency I am required to have a club checkout (usually about an hour covering the usual stuff) every 6 months.
These rules seem very reasonable to me, and the 6 month check can count as my hour with an instructor for the purposes of revalidation of licence.