PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft midair collision in Denver

NoSurrender
25th Jan 2003, 00:55
A single and a twin engined aircraft have collided and crashed into a residential area in Denver.
CNN website (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/24/crash.denver.reut/index.html)

Squawk7777
25th Jan 2003, 01:58
from Reuters this evening...

DENVER (Reuters) - Two small airplanes collided in mid-air on Friday, and one of them crashed into a home in a Denver neighborhood and bursting into flames, local officials said.

Six people on the ground received minor injuries and were taken to a local hospital. There was no immediate word about more serious injuries or deaths, although police said people were trapped at the home where the fire occurred.

"The plane struck the back of the house and there was an explosion," Denver Police Chief Gerry Whitman said.

One witness reported hearing a "horrible noise" while other residents in the northwest Denver area were searching backyards for debris.

Local reports said a single-engine Cessna crashed into the home and a twin-engine Piper Cheyenne crashed into a back yard several blocks away.

The area is a busy one for general aviation, aircraft that are neither commercial or military, residents said.

Grafter
25th Jan 2003, 08:00
DENVER, Colorado (CNN) -- Two small planes collided Friday night, killing all four aboard, with one of the aircraft slamming into a home in northwest Denver and bursting into flames, officials said.

Larry Trujillo, a spokesman for the Denver Fire Department, said there were two victims aboard each plane. Four others on the ground were treated and released from a hospital, although it was not clear exactly how they were injured, Trujillo said.
The aircraft were identified as a Cessna 172 Skyhawk and a Piper Cheyenne, according to Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown in Washington.
One of the four people hurt included a firefighter, who received minor injuries when one of the planes blew up after impact.
After the crash, the two planes plummeted to the ground, scattering debris across the Denver neighborhood. One crashed into a home, virtually leveling it, and the other landed a few blocks south, in the backyard of another home.
Denver Police spokeswoman Virginia Lopez said no one was in the home at the time of the crash, about 5:15 p.m. MST (7:15 p.m. EST).
One witness said he saw one of the planes spinning and flipping upside down before slamming into the ground.
"It was horrifying. I've never seen anything like this," he said.
Emergency crews cordoned off the crash sites. Lopez said jet fuel was leaking and urged residents to stay away.
"We have no clues as to how this happened," she added.

saudipc-9
25th Jan 2003, 12:10
"We have no clues as to how this happened,"

A lack of lookout is how it happened!

Negative 'G'
25th Jan 2003, 13:57
oops sorry

phnuff
25th Jan 2003, 17:50
Now looks like 5 dead !!!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1935703/detail.html

whatshouldiuse
25th Jan 2003, 18:30
Please see 'http://www.9news.com/storyfull.asp?id=10572" for more details.

As for background, Jefferson county is NW of Denver and Centennial is SE. And Wyoming is due north. Accident happened about 5 miles SE of Jeffco.

Andy

ATPMBA
26th Jan 2003, 15:27
An Faa guy said at a safety meeting, "When I hear abount a mid-air collision, it's usually within 10 miles from an airport."

I'ts sad for me because this accident is 33 years to the day that I lost someone I knew to such an accident.
:(