PDA

View Full Version : Peru For Pilots

airsmiles
24th Jan 2003, 16:16
Just booked my hols in Peru for May. Is there anyone out there who has experience of Lima and Cuzco airports?

- Do the Andes make the approaches interesting ?
- How are the peruvians on ATC ?
- Are there any old propliners or old classic jets still operating out there ?

Any info gratefully received.

Regards to all
airsmiles

PS. I am flying with KLM. Anyone know what a/c type it will be ?

Vizsla
24th Jan 2003, 16:31
Keep a good grip on all your bags/money/watch in Lima. Avoid street money exchangers. Dont dress like a fat cat gringo and keep low profile - see Foreign Office Warnings to Travellers in Peru you may live to get as far as Cuzco.
The wonderful thing about the dry, no rust, climate of Peru is the preservation of old cars - Model T's etc. still being driven, so theres a good chance you might find the odd classic A/c - Spitfire etc. in a cave/shed.....unfortuately local laws will not allow export

GlueBall
24th Jan 2003, 17:27
Cuzco is a high altitude airport, above 11,000 feet, so may have a slight headache the first day. Some Mate de Coca tea will take care of that. Kick back at the Inka Hotel later in the evening with a Pisco Sour. Next day catch a 3 hour train to Machu Pichu and see how the Incas built terraced infrastructure without mortar.

At Lima the best place is the Marriott, overlooking the ocean, with promenade shops and restaurants across the street. But if you're on a budget there are cheaper hotels and hostels. If you like spicy foods, Peruvian cuisine is tops. Eat some Ceviche, raw fish in lemon juice & spices, and come back to your senses.

Earlier this month I saw a KLM MD11 at LIM. Aerocontinente B727/737/A320 or Lan Peru A319 go to CUZ, among others.:p

manuel ortiz
25th Jan 2003, 22:01
Donīt drink that Coca tea , you may have problems with your
medical.
Cuzco app. is really worth watching.
Try not doing Cuzco Machupichu Cuzco on one day if using the train both ways.

Lima has an excellent place to do paragliding along the sea shore due to its close ridge.

Enjoy!

Manuel
DC-3>>>>>A-320

airsmiles
29th Jan 2003, 20:49
Thanks for the information. Sounds interesting but talk of Foreign Office Warnings sounds like it could be as unsafe as London !