PDA

View Full Version : Highest elevation airport

MasterBates
23rd Jan 2003, 22:01
What is the highest airport in the world?
Does anyone know which one is the toughest one for commercial operation, in regard to weather, terrain, etc (hope I´m not starting any "my dad is stronger than yours" issues here).
I´m not talking about grass or mudstrips, rather an airport with some facilities.
B. rgds

M. Bates
:cool:

--------------------
YES THAT'S ME!!! THE MASTER OF (DE)BATES

reynoldsno1
23rd Jan 2003, 22:27
I believe the highest airfield in the world is a military strip somewhere in N. Pakistan at about 16000ft amsl. I think the highest civilian strip is Syangboche in Nepal (c.12500ft amsl) - diverted there (honest!) once in a MiL8 from Lukla (9500ft), and spent the night in the Sherpa Lodge. I recommend the yak steak...

McD
23rd Jan 2003, 23:09
El Alto, the major airport (used daily by 757s and other aircraft) at La Paz, Bolivia has an elevation above 13,300 feet.

OzExpat
24th Jan 2003, 10:08
reynolds... I'd be REALLY surprised if there was anything OTHER than "yak steak"... :D

Vizsla
24th Jan 2003, 12:00
La Paz has something like a 3 mile runway, you never seem to unstick until you fall off a cliff at the eastern end. Always a good laugh to watch tourists collapsing with hypoxia....Oxygen available in the terminal....quick bus ride to alto plano sort you out........