PDA

View Full Version : do you flight Plan or not?

loglickychops
22nd Jan 2003, 21:54
I'm thinking of buying Navbox ProPlan, but the website's crap with not enough info. Has anyone got a recommendation for/against this product. Also, what's a good inxepensive GPS (doesn't need to be moving map etc.) to work with this?

Cheers

log...

Keef
23rd Jan 2003, 01:45
Navbox Proplan is definitely the dog's whiskers - I use it all the time.

It connects straight to my GPS3Pilot so I can upload the plan (and download the track afterward to see how I did).

Julian
23rd Jan 2003, 07:16
You can use ANY GPS that allows you to hook up to a PC, mine is a Garmin eTrek venture which cost £120 from the Tottenham Court |Road! Dont go buying anything flash and expensive unless you are going to use the GPS in isolation and want the features.

I have Navbox Pro myself and it isnt a bad little package. We did a 'test run' with it from Bournemouth to L2K and found it was very accurate on the positioning given on the screen. I would reccommend it.

PhilD
23rd Jan 2003, 07:47
I use Jepp FliteStar and upload the waypoints to an eTrek (non aviation) GPS. FliteStar is easy to plan routes, it does all the heading/speed/time calcs and prints a plog. You can also get nav data updates from Jepp (although you need to pay!).

After that I just draws the lines on the map, cross-check the distances and headings (just to make sure) and go flying.

alphaalpha
23rd Jan 2003, 09:12
I agree with Keef. I've use Proplan for about four years or so for UK and continental Europe, and found it excellent.

Do buy the annual update service. It's inexpensive and you get monthly internet updates of the database, which seems to contain very few errors. You also get new Proplan editions as and when they come out, free of charge. I have had three updates in the time I've used Proplan.

The publishers are also responsive to emails requesting help, pointing out database changes and suggestion for improvements.