PDA

View Full Version : Is the CX recruitment ban still active

pilotofjet
22nd Jan 2003, 12:49
Just trawled the CX website and read the blurb on pilot recruitment. It says they want 235 pilots this year but not quite clear if these are cadets. Are qualified pilots abstaining while wannabees needing their first break fill the gaps? I would like to join but do not feel I should re. the 49ers but if that means somebody else is going to take the slot anyway, maybe I should apply!?:(

Saturn
23rd Jan 2003, 05:56
Curious where you saw that 235 number? I could not find it. Thanx.

Ajax
23rd Jan 2003, 18:30
Yeah whats the story ... I've just come back into this forum for the first time in weeks to check on this very thing, because I've just been told by two of my mates in the last couple of days that I should now apply to CX because 'the ban is now over' :confused:

Please tell me it's true!!

Midnight Rambler
23rd Jan 2003, 21:30
Definitely apply. If the ban has not been lifted by the time you are accepted (should that be the case) then you can always find a reason to delay. The AOA has never advocated not applying for a job with CX - just don't accept one whilst the ban is in place. Hopefully it will be lifted soon.

Good luck. :)

jtr
23rd Jan 2003, 22:05
No, the ban is not over, but as MR says
The AOA has never advocated not applying for a job with CX - just don't accept one whilst the ban is in place.

235 pilots sounds a bit much given current expansion (minor), but maybe they are planning on losing the current court case, and being forced to revert to the old rostering system.

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/lilly/hmm3grin2orange.gif

gissmonkey
24th Jan 2003, 17:43
jtr,

235 pilots sounds a bit much given current expansion (minor),

3 new 600's, 3 new 330's plus 3 new 777's and you call this minor expansion??? HELLO.......

Ajax
26th Jan 2003, 03:33
Come on you lot, I can't believe this thread has been on here for multiple days and no comment from the AOA usual suspects, makes me very suspicious to be honest :rolleyes: Is it the calm before the storm? Has something changed or is about to change with regard to the ban, or what??

jtr
26th Jan 2003, 12:07
gissmonkey

I understand the second of the -600's was delivered late dec 02.
I also understand that the 777 and A330 deliveries are spread through until end 2004.

9 aircraft over three years.

Based on the deliveries thus far (2 in '02) and the schedule of deliveries planned, my geuss is that 3 or 4 a/c will arrive in 2003. 1 long haul, the remainder short haul.

it says they want 235 pilots this year

There are roughly 21 crew per a/c (flexible according to l/h s/h)

If 4 a/c arrive, about 85 recruitments are reqd to cover the expansion.

What of the remainder?

Will it be
a)150 retirements in 2003
b)150 sackings for no reason in 2003
c)150 extra crew required to cover the rostering system we should be on, when they lose the court case in 2003

In 1999/2000 CX announced orders/leases for 15 a/c for arrival in 2000/2001. When this 25% increase in fleet size was announced, they also said they would require 220 more pilots. Not up to the 20 odd crew per a/c theory is it? Why? Perhaps a change to the contract was in the breeze, and they felt they were overstaffed.

Now they say they they want a greater # of pilots, for a much smaller expansion, over a longer peiod. Why? Perhaps a change to the contract is in the breeze, and they feel they are understaffed!

All will be revealed in the course of time.

I am not trying to sound underwhelmed, but a 5% increase in fleet size in a 12 month period is hardly "major expansion"

BlueEagle
26th Jan 2003, 12:25
21 crew per aircraft sounds a bit heavy to me.

SIA used to allow 11 crew per B744 aircraft, SIA are not famous for allowing more crew than is required!:)

jtr
26th Jan 2003, 13:23
Bizarre! CX has 19 pax -400's, and about 500 crew for them.
That's 26 per a/c. The s/h fleets drag the overall av. down though as there are only about 15 per a/c