PDA

View Full Version : Light signals for FISO's

Doghouse
21st Jan 2003, 21:51
Pilot with a question:

Does a FISO have the right to use light signals to a non-radio aircraft in flight making an approach to an INFORMATION airfield.

My understanding, according to the ANO, is that light signals are for "the control of aerodrome traffic". Given that INFO airfields do not have the right to control an aircraft in flight, I assume that FISO's therefore have no right to use light signals (either green or red) to instruct an aircraft to land (or not). Whilst I accept that they could be used to a non-radio aircraft for taxying, can they be used to an aircraft in flight?

DeanCross(DCS)
22nd Jan 2003, 12:16
Yes

A fiso is authorised to use light signals to aircraft.

Spitoon
22nd Jan 2003, 17:09
An interesting question doghouse. But I have a feeling that DCS's answer might need some qualification.

A FISO has the authority to issue instructions to aircraft on the ground (up to the holding point as I recall) and so he or she should be able to use light signals to issue the same instructions that they would otherwise issue on RT.

Beyond that I think it's rather less clear. From the pilot's point of view, if you see light signals coming from an aerodrome you should obey them (Rule 46). But there's nothing that authorises anyone to make the signals - or, come to that, that stops anyone from making the signals. There is the general "you mustn't do anything that would endanger an aircraft" (ANO Art 63) but if the signal is appropriate to the situation it would, presumably, be enhancing the safety of the aircraft. The signals square is similar - some of the signals give very clear instructions (like runway to be used and circuit direction) but there appear to be no rules about who can display these signals.

I guess, ultimately, it's down to the airport licence holder who has to make sure that the circuit is safe for aircraft (ANO Art 103).

It would get even more tricky if you had a FISO at an unlicensed airport - although I don't know if this is allowed!

Doghouse
23rd Jan 2003, 13:28
Thanks for that.

I guess where I'm coming from is a 'discussion' at an airfield where I instruct.

I like to turn the radio completely off with students on a nav ex to simulate a radio failure. I do this when they are 5nm from base and ask them to fly home and land. My base airfield accepts non-radio traffic and is a licensed INFORMATION airfield.

I tell the students to overfly the signal square, fly an overhead join and land. The FISO's want me to fly a low level approach with landing lights flashing and then a second circuit to land, observing their light signals.

Whilst I fully accept the regs not to endanger aircraft etc, I'm not sure I see the need to adopt this 'controlled airfield style' fly-by when the landing is at my discretion anyway.

Duke of Burgundy
26th Jan 2003, 20:26
Doghouse - I hope you don`t mind the opinion of an ATCO who has no experience of working at a General Aviation aerodrome and as such could be accused of not knowing what he is talking about. This forum, however, is full of such people so I`ll proceed anyway.

I discussed the matter of your "simulated radio failure" with a couple of colleagues who happen to be pilots and their views co-incided more or less with yours that it would be acceptable to fly over the signals square, then join the circuit appropriately and land.

But consider this. A FISO is a licensed position and the licence holder has specific responsibilities including issuing information to aircraft flying within the ATZ in order to assist the pilots in preventing collisions.

I am presuming that at your aerodrome non-radio aircraft require prior permission. If that is the case then the FISO will be aware of such aircraft operating into the aerodrome and will be looking out specifically .

You, on the other hand, will have departed in the usual manner having made the appropriate RTF calls. The FISO will therefore expect you to announce yourself on return to the aerodrome. If you are unable to do so by dint of your "simulated radio failure" then unless you make him aware of your presence by the "low-level circuit flashing your landing lights" method or whatever, you may be robbing him of the opportunity to carry out his function properly.