PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL in Orlando

shaunmclaughlin
20th Jan 2003, 14:47
I am looking to do a JAA PPL in the Kissimmee/Melbourne area, however the only company I can find that offers JAA PPL training is OFT. Are there any other companies offering the training in the area?

Many Thanks,

Shaun

Bodie
20th Jan 2003, 14:52
Try,

http://www.britanniaflightcentre.com/

Site is being updated at the moment.

DesiPilot
20th Jan 2003, 15:53
Hi Shaun,

Dont try Britannia, we shut down the school in October and I don't see us reopening in near future.
Within Orlando area there is only one school, OFT. If you like to go south of Melbourne, you can try EFT (Ft Pierce) or IFTA (Stuart). You can also try Naples Air Center on the west coast of FL.
Ofcourse you can also go North of Orlando, try Comair (Sanford) or OBA (Ormond Beach).

Good luck with your flight training. Make sure you do go to the USA on a visa.

Regards,
Jatin Gaur

ShenziRubani
21st Jan 2003, 09:21
Hi Shaun,

Did my PPL FAA at OFT and went to Naples Air Center for my CPL-IR-ME.
I don't recommend OFT and Ormond B.A. Bad reputation too.

I strongly recommend NAC. All the mates I had during my stay there got their JAA PPL easily as instruction was good and there are enough planes. Very structurised school. Very British too.

Good luck,

shaunmclaughlin
22nd Jan 2003, 20:14
Thanks for the info, after looking about on the internet I have decided to go for a JAA PPL/Night/IMC course as it would give the most ratings for time abroad etc... Naples looks like a good option, but if anyone has any other info it would be much appriciated!

Cheers,

Shaun

Squawk7777
24th Jan 2003, 06:06
I am afraid to add IFTA on the avoidance list!

CrazyOne1203
30th Jan 2003, 23:53
Try Sunstate Aviation, I'm almost positive they are JAA Certified. Go to their Website www.sunstateaviation.com for their number, and ask. I'm pretty sure they do, but not 100% Certain.

Kevin

DesiPilot
20th Feb 2003, 05:17
Crazy one,

I am certain that Sunstate Aviation is not approved to conduct any JAA training.
I recommend going to CAA's website to find out about the schools approved to do JAA training in the USA. You can try CAA's website at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf

Cheers,
Jatin

GoneWest
21st Feb 2003, 02:48
Jatin - Sanford is part of Orlando isn't it??

Would certainly choose Comair over OFT - the level is training is far superior.

DesiPilot
23rd Feb 2003, 03:09
GoneWest,

Yes, you can call Sanford part of Orlando. If you look at the list I provided it does have Comair in there too. I left it upto the student discretion. I personally don't know any student who graduated from Comair and singing the praise or complaining otherwise.

Cheerio,
Jatin

Pilot P
16th Jun 2003, 17:25
Hello everybody,

Mayby I went to the US for a JAA PPL approved flight training. So i'm looking for a high quilified and nice flightschool.
At this topic some people tell about there experience, but I habe a couple of questions.

Is there somebody with recent experience with a flight school? OFT, NAC??

Tanks in advance.

Regards,

PilotP

tampabay
28th Jun 2003, 21:07
Desipilot,

Sunset aviation ARE approved to do JAA instruction. I personally found this out when i was on holiday to Orlando and decided to do a few flights for fun, they actually have a Scottish pilot and at the time they were advertising in Europe for a JAA CPL so they could offer more JAA stuff

DesiPilot
29th Jun 2003, 06:43
Tampabay,

Would you be kind enough to inform me what sources you were using to determine that Sunset is an approved JAA school? Did you see an approval certificate at Sunset Aviation? Or you are just going by their words?

My source of information is CAA and according to CAA's website, Sunset Aviation is still not approved for JAA Training in the USA. CAA's list of flight school was updated on 27th June 2003, so I can't even say that its old information.

If you would like to check it yourself you can go to CAA's website at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf

Cheers,
DesiPilot

Oh by the way, just because they have a Scottish pilot doesnt automatically gets Sunset Aviation JAA approval. There are strict requirements by UK CAA that must be met before a school gets the approval.

Cheers,
Jatin

tampabay
1st Jul 2003, 23:56
I didn't say they HAD it, i said they were planning to start and they had advertised in Europe and in the UK particulary for a JAA CPL pilot, they had all the JAA syllabus stuff also. Wether they decided against it in the end i dont know

Keygrip
2nd Jul 2003, 03:38
Yes you did...
Sunset aviation ARE approved to do JAA instruction
If, in all this, you mean SunState at Kissimmee, then their application is pending.

Just needs an inspection visit from the CAA (don't hold your breath).

Facts Not Fiction Pls
2nd Jul 2003, 10:20
Wow - this thread has gone on a long time!

Sunset/Sunstate's approval has been under debate since Feb. I concur with Keygrip that they are not on the CAA Approved list of schools.

Tampabay - be careful what you are told and see the evidence. It sounds like the hours that you accrued cannot be accredited to the required training elements of the JAA PPL. It is not just the pilot that needs to have JAA qualifications, the school needs to be approved and inspected including the individual aircraft. Even the airports that are used in FL need to be proved to meet the JAA minimums!

Be interesting to see what they offer....does anyone know about whose heading up this outfit? So this means that there will be two JAR approved schools in the land of Disney; once they get their approval that is!;)

Sensible
2nd Jul 2003, 14:59
Sunstate are a friendly crew, the Scotish instructor/builder is a real nice guy too. The aircraft which I saw/flew were new 172s but I think they may be a wee bit expensive for the average wannabe to consider a PPL there even if they do get approval. Nice to fly new aircraft though even though the autopilot was a tad too complicated for me! Moving colour GPS was a real treat though!

If I was looking for a JAA PPL, I think on balance that I would rather spend my money at NAC. Lots of criticism about other set ups but little if any adverse comments about NAC - says it all really!!!

tampabay
3rd Jul 2003, 01:39
I made a mistake and i didn't read my 1st post correctly...i apologise.

What i meant to say was basically they were planning/doing JAA stuff i wasn't competely sure

luthier
29th Apr 2005, 13:18
I've got a friend from the UK looking to do his PPL. Does anyone know if Sunstate is JAA approved?

Keygrip
3rd May 2005, 02:47
Yes, I do - No, they are not.