PDA

View Full Version : Power Station restrictions.

Gerry Actrick
19th Jan 2003, 20:57
Does anyone have any opinion on the restrictions round the power stations?
I’m getting a little more concerned since there have been a few more developments recently. Not least that the temporary restrictions have become permanent and Hughie McGovern got found guilty of flying within 15 feet – yes 15 feet – of Heysham. (not even Hughie would fly that close!)
Heysham (Middleton Sands) has been used, to my knowledge, by microlights and light aircraft for 20 years and records of use by light aircraft go back to the 1940s (long before the power stations were built).
We have permission to land within 1.5 nautical miles of Heysham in microlights only, but this make the site virtually useless.
Why the restriction? If you read the safety report (http://www.hse.gov.uk/nsd/heytorn.pdf.) it says “ – aircraft crash does not present a significant risk”.
Is this the start of something bigger? More restrictions at more sites? Are they testing us to see how we react so they can plan more and bigger restrictions?
There seems to be a bit of an unhealthy interest in GA as regards terrorism recently, and rolling over when faced with needless and useless restrictions will not help us in the long run
Any ideas out there – or should I find a new hobby now?

:confused: