PDA

View Full Version : Who provides ATC at Humberside?

PhilLUFC
19th Jan 2003, 18:59
I know Manchester Airport owns Humberside and Manchester uses NATS controllers, does that mean Humberside is also staffed by NATS controllers?? It isn't on their list but I thought it might be counted as a Manchester sub-section.

Humberside is my local airport and I an asking concerning a possible visit before an interview and more long term as a possible place to be an ATCO assuming all goes well and I get that far.

This is all a bit premature because I haven't even got the results from the NATS selection tests but I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance

Phil

niknak
19th Jan 2003, 20:47
Forget it Phil - everyone at Bumbleside is employed by MAN PLC.
When Finningly opens they'll all be looking for jobs elsewhere.........:D
PS you won't get a choice in posting - other than not wishing to go to the land of the bog fairys....

PhilLUFC
19th Jan 2003, 21:20
Finningly would do! :D Personally I don't think Finningly will hapen, there is just no need for any more airports round here, having said that, it would be an ideal location, not far from the east coast main line.

I am aware of the lack of choice for posting and that the chances of being posted to manchester as a 1st posting is next to impossible due to high demand. I have been informed that I would at least be able to state my preference even if they just throw that out the window and send me to aberdeen. I haven't even decided whether I would rather be an approach or an area controller yet. After 3 years training down south I might feel differently about locations anyway.

The only thing I do know about locations is that I don't really want to be in london (inside the M25 to be exact), I like driving too much and don't want to spend my life stuck in traffic! Being somewhere suitable to travel to Elland Road for football would be a bonus.

Phil

P.S. Where are my nearest NATS and non-NATS airfields?

Punditgreen
22nd Jan 2003, 22:32
PhilUFC

Humberside ATC staff are employed by Humberside Airport which is part of the Regional Airports division of MAplc, a division headed by East Midlands and also containing Bournemouth.

There will always be a few looking for pastures new, but Finningley (if it happens) would have to offer some good pay/conditions to make it worth leaving. Peel would presumably employ the staff themselves so pay may be on a par with Liverpool.

Make that visit, and get the info from the horses mouth.

PG

mainecoon
22nd Jan 2003, 22:42
phil
sorry to bring you down even more but the chances are that you will have no choice of area or tower/appr as the greatest demand is for area

plus the demand in that field is lacc

there is a chance of manchester centre or scottish but that is a slim one

nearest nats to you
manch obviously stanstead edinburgh the list ginds to a halt

sorry to be so negative but thats the reality

regrds:eek:

PhilLUFC
24th Jan 2003, 16:34
Ok, thanks for the info.

Mainecoon: I would expect there to be some demand for tower/appr controllers even if the majority is for area controllers. Given that my start date would be summer 2004 demand will most likely change anyway.

Phil