PDA

View Full Version : Mustang at Coventry

AerBabe
18th Jan 2003, 13:58
Two weeks ago we were treated to a P-51 doing a low pass, followed by a barrel roll (I missed this bit as I was making tea and didn't hear the radio :rolleyes: ) before coming in to land. Today it left again, returning for a fly-by (I might ask for one next time I'm up in the C152) straight towards our club house.
If the pilot happens to be reading this I'd like to thank you for the spectacular display of what this beautiful machine can do. An incredible climb rate, and a wonderful sound! And if you ever want anyone to sit in the back and map read... ;)

pythagoras
20th Jan 2003, 16:16
Was returning to Coventry from Sywell 2 weeks ago when the mustang was arriving there, passed underneath us just as we were crossing the M1 then pulled up and did a neat roll right in front of us. Heard the 'run in and break' on the radio but couldn't get the PA-28 there in time to see it! :mad: About 10 minutes too late!

formationfoto
21st Jan 2003, 19:52
Not wanting to criticise or score points but would the same language have been used in these posts if the same actions had been carried out by say a Yak 52?.

"straight towards the clubhouse", "neat roll right in front of us".

I can almost see the alternative posts - "irresponsible Yak pilot aimed straight at the clubhouse...."

By the way I don't fly a Yak and I am sure this was a great spectacle but I find it interesting that we modify our view of behaviour based on the nature of the machine in which the behaviour is exhibited.

Personally anyone who wants roll around me in my jodel or run and break along the road in front of my house will receive approval in large dollops from me - Spitfire, Jaguar, Mustang, or Yak.

Kolibear
21st Jan 2003, 20:00
I wonder what the result would have been if, having replaced the Allison engine with the Merlin, the Mustang had been re-engined with the Griffon - as per the Spitfire?

Or has this happened in Reno races?

treadigraph
22nd Jan 2003, 13:08
A couple of Mustangs have been powered by Griffons in the US for unlimited racing. So far as I know they all had the Griffon 57 out of a Shackleton driving a contra-rotating prop.

Steve Hinton - famously associated with the Red Baron Griffon-powered Mustang, a story in itself - has recently rebuilt a Spitfire PRXIX at Chino with a contra-rotating Griffon 57 - the reason being that, although it's not authentic, spares for the 57 are more plentiful than the correct 65; I think he also cited overhaul costs were cheaper! And, as he says, it looks different and sounds great!!! And nothing has been done that can't be undone...

AerBabe
22nd Jan 2003, 16:22
F'Foto - It was coming straight towards the clubhouse cos we're next to the runway, and he was flying up it... at a sensible height, having got permission from ATC, who then thanked him. ;)

sunday driver
25th Jan 2003, 21:45
tread

a Spitfire PRXIX at Chino with a contra-rotating Griffon 57 - the reason being that, although it's not authentic

I am led to understand that a small number of Spitfire Mk21s and 22s were converted to run contra-props on the end of Griffon 85s.

LA218 and PK662 were examples, the former being the subject of an enthusiastic Boscombe Down evaluation. Apart form the fact that it wasn't as reliable as required.

sd

High Wing Drifter
25th Jan 2003, 22:20
There is indeed something about those old war machines.

I remember, three or four years ago watching a sprint motor race meeting at Goodwood. This is just after they finished refurbishing it to its circa 1950's look. There I was, a georgous summers day, the 50's vists infront of me as I sat at Fordwater just as a big Healey came racing through the curve and a Spitfire took off from the aerodrome...

...FANTASTIC!