PDA

View Full Version : Flying with pets

MLS-12D
17th Jan 2003, 21:49
I came across the following article ("Fido goes for an airplane ride"), and thought it might interest some of you: http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182258-1.html

SuperOwl
18th Jan 2003, 15:59
What would happen if Fido needed to go for a Brad Pitt?
Just wondering....

skippyscage
18th Jan 2003, 16:54
dogs (even puppies) are pretty good at holding it in - they'd rather not mess their own bed

usually the only problem is them being a little sick

poetpilot
19th Jan 2003, 12:24
We had a Jack Russell that used to fly in the Jodel I once had a share in. She was fine.... looked a bit mystified (in a Gromit kind of way) when we took off, then settled down to sleep until we landed. We now have two Yorkies (dogs, not chocolate bars) - one of whom does just the same as the JackRussell. The other is a nervous wreck, even in the car. We tried 'em out in my 172 but I refused to take the nervous one up - just taxying around made him behave in a very panic-stricken way. The last thing I need is a dog throwing a wobbler when I'm flying.

And years ago, when I was an ATC cadet, one of the civvie instructors used to take his spaniel up on glider flights, sitting in the open-cockpit back of a T31 glider on his kap. You could hear the pooch barking all the way round the circuit. But it enjoyed itself. When they landed, it wanted to go back for more!

Hairyplane
19th Jan 2003, 17:05
Ah!

I remember the late, great David Hughes of The Rural Flying Corps at Bourn in 1979.

I was there for my AFI Rating.

After the first 3 days helping to erect the buildings you see there today (!) I finally got to fly.

After a comprehensive pre-flight briefing I got into one of their Aerobats 'IE.

'I'll be out in a minute' said David.

Out he came - great big bloke in a huge pair of shorts, swigging a mug of tea.

'Off you go' he said - still glugging as I taxied out.

'Stop Stop' he said - after about 10 or 15 yards.

He then opened the door and in jumped Gemma his big Labrador.

'She loves flying' he said.

Off we went - the dogs paws never moving from the control yoke on Davids (left) side.

'Want to see a barrel roll?'

'Go on then'.

I will never forget the dog. Her tongue was right out and - well - I reckon dogs actually do smile. Her tongue prescribed a perfect 360 as we went around.

Those were the days.

David was the most wonderful guy - a gentle giant - who regrettably died young in a hotel room in the USA. He was flying Lears apparently and simply died suddenly of a brain embolism(?) while he was watching telly.

Do many of you out there remember him?

Of the 3 originals - Gary died on the Golf course I am told - only Lindsey - ('The Great Lindso' to those who saw him in his tights and big tosh at the Xmas RFC Panto 1980 - doing his strong man act - bl@@dy funny!! )- survives.

Lovely bloke - go see him!

He has a great big Dalmatian. Now - I wonder......??!!

Stampe
19th Jan 2003, 17:48
True HP the Rural Fly Corps at Bourn a great many of us have great reason to David especially for a wonderful instructor training if very unconventional.Can,t say I approved at all times but looking back I learnt a tremendous amount.Remember the labrador Gemma well officially the deputy CFI. David used to swear she could fly and having seen her paws on the column of 150 Aerobat (isn,t the Reims 130 horse variant lovely) think she most probably had the basics.Remember her well ,asleep in the back during a session of mild positive aeros!Other memories landing in the field at the bottom of Davids garden after a very low level cross country because he,d forgotten his sandwiches.The way he used to stop the engine then the prop and throw the keys in the back(they had their own airfield) but a visiting PPL wasn,t listening on the radio and David had to take control and land expertly on the cross runway!!(I believe I was the last student instructor David did that to).Not a man in the modern colourless mold and sure lots of people will tut tut but I know we all learnt a lot from him,I will always be grateful to him.Hope he,s enjoying flying with the Angels!!bet their Aeros have improved!!.;)

piotr
20th Jan 2003, 10:48
On a slightly more serious (and annoying!) note, I have just found out that the PETS scheme - where you can bring in your pets from qualifying countries (most of western Europe) without them needing to go into quarantine for 6 months - explicitly EXCLUDES pets brought in on private flights (it lists only "approved" carriers such as BA).

So, while we will enjoy our new plane and pop over to France for weekends, etc., Fido will have to stay at home. :mad:

Skitzoid
20th Jan 2003, 10:57
I dont think you will find any exclusion as to how you bring in dog/cat but there are only a few approved points of entry where the chips can be read and paperwork done. If you want to pay the landing fee @ LHR you have no problem!

piotr
20th Jan 2003, 11:15
Sorry Skitzoid - I am right.

To quote from the government PETS scheme website - "You cannot bring a pet into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme from a private boat or plane".

Anyone interested can check this out - http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine

cheers,

piotr.

Skitzoid
20th Jan 2003, 11:21
I stand corrected - Edited out. Not a clever suggestion at all.

Hairyplane
20th Jan 2003, 12:43
Hi Skitz,

I wouldn't even remotely consider posting a suggestion that the laws should be flouted.

If there is a law to prevent then it has been applied for good reason.

Whilst these are anonymous forums you know full well that the media read (and subscribe to!) these threads.

You can bet that the CAA and/ or HM Customs will now have marked your card because, lets face it, they are very likely to know who you are.

If you want to take poochie on holiday I'm sure he'll be much happier making your car smell....

HP

Skitzoid
21st Jan 2003, 17:49
I'm so so sorry that you took my suggestion seriously, especially as I have been bitten by a rabid dog and I'm confined to a dark room with only pprune as a companion

TheKentishFledgling
21st Jan 2003, 19:52
Pippin manages ok...........:D

(see http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78836)

tKF

Circuit Basher
11th Feb 2003, 09:18
Flying Collies

Just as an experiment, on Sunday we took our 12 yr old Border Collie for a flight. She wasn't distressed - a little bit nervous to start with (licking lips, panting, etc), but then just treated it like a strange car.

Flying Collie (http://groups.msn.com/CircuitBasher/fujiphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=84)

Did a total of 1.4 hrs with my wife sitting next to her to reassure her - no problems!