PDA

View Full Version : Landing on Maderia

LordGrumpy
17th Jan 2003, 18:02
So why is landing at Funchal Maderia, an interesting experiance?

Anyone got photo's?

OBK!
17th Jan 2003, 18:26
http://www.scandva.org/reports/lpfu/transavia.htm

Check it out :D

The Highlander
18th Jan 2003, 03:30
with the wind situation dwn there and the geographical layout of the airport and rwy alignment, it is only posible to make approaches when the wind is within a prescibed limit. as in crosswind limitations for a/c type etc. however these limits are less than most a/c types limits. reason is that it is possible to be cuaght out by a frequent gust which will result possibly in your wingtip touching FNC's rwy before your wheels do. I have heard of an approach where a late gust caused a wing tip nearly to do as described. the gust caused the tip to come within 30ft of the surface with the other considerably higher than that. if you know what i mean.
hope this helps

LordGrumpy
19th Jan 2003, 09:55
Thanks for the replies.

phnuff
20th Jan 2003, 15:49
I mentioned this to my non flying parents who mentioned that on both occasions they went to Maderia, they took off for their return flight, only to land somewhere else for more fuel (15+ years ago). Is this still the case or was it due to limited performance on old (737-100/200) aircraft. I think they went Britannia from Luton?

OBK!
20th Jan 2003, 16:16
Madeira now has an extended rwy, so you can quite comfortably get aircraft such as 767's off there without them having to stop somewhere else for fuel.

Before the rwy, yes, the short rwy limited the maximum takeoff weight of these aircraft and they had to therefore limit there fuel, and pickup some elsewhere to get home.

Wycombe
23rd Jan 2003, 07:32
Porto Santo was the usual place before the runway at FNC was extended.