PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Downloads

bluskis
16th Jan 2003, 20:51
Am I alone in finding the procedure for downloading Garmin data base updates both complicated and time consuming.

I realise they need to protect themselves against piracy, but is all the complication the only way to achieve this?

Keef
17th Jan 2003, 00:30
Am I missing something? Didn't find it that much bovver. Perhaps it's my twisted mind.

bluskis
17th Jan 2003, 13:10
Part of it was the warning that you might lose your user waypoints and routes, so to be safe they had to be writen down before even starting.

Why should your data be in danger of being wiped by the software, every aviation user must have such data in their GPS, carefully checked and verified in practice for errors.

Matching the screen instructions with the different ones in the instruction booklet.

Then incredibly long authentication numbers and switching between pages. Finding where the files have been put etc
etc.

Finding they had been transferred 'truncated' and having to repeat the performance.

Might not be so bad next time as my data wasn't lost and I have written out supplementary instructions.

Perhaps I am not as forgiving to unfriendly computer systems as I should be.

drauk
17th Jan 2003, 17:18
I've never lost data whilst manipulating my Garmin in this way, but if you're worried that you might you can easily download all your user waypoints, routes and tracks to your desktop PC, using a program like EasyGPS. Much easier, quicker and more reliable than "writing them down".

bluskis
17th Jan 2003, 17:59
Thanks just downloaded EasyGPS, now playing with it.