PDA

View Full Version : BCAL/Dan-Air 1-11 beep on R/T

Hydroforming Bushmaster
16th Jan 2003, 09:29
Does anyone old enough to remember Caledonian 1-11s - some of which then went on to fly for Dan Air - have any idea why their transmissions used to end with a very distinctive 'beep' at the end?

I haven't exactly been worrying about this for 20 years but I smiled while reading a book last night by a guy growing up through the Airfix kit > plane spotter > cars/bikes/girls route mentioned BCAL 1-11s distinctive R/T beeps as heard on his airband radio.

Itsonyatv
16th Jan 2003, 10:54
Don't know the answer to your question, but I remember that this seemed to be noticed first on the Court Line one-elevens in the early seventies.

Mr_Grubby
16th Jan 2003, 13:26
Hydro.
Was the book 'Notes from a Small Mind' by Rob Sawyer ?
Just read it myself. Good book. Easy read.

I remember the BR 1-11 and the probs. with the R/T in the 70's.
The machine that flew Southampton to Scotland was always bad.

Do you remember Dick Bentley. Crew chief D Watch South Bank ?
Well his brother (inlaw maybe, I can't recall,) was a BR Captain and I talked to Dick about this R/T prob. He said that the crews of BR were aware of what we heard on the ground but it was a fault on the BR 1-11s radios.

Regards
MR G.

PS Something in the post for you.

Loki
16th Jan 2003, 21:06
There was also a distinctive whine from Viscounts r/t when they were on ground power.

Avman
16th Jan 2003, 21:50
I think those were the engines Loki ;)

Cavemonster
17th Jan 2003, 08:38
I remember the 1-11 beep; I recall one quiet winter's evening on Hurn sector at Drayton discussing it with a DA 1-11 on 134.45. Or rather trying to discuss it. They didn't understand what I was on about.

Maybe the crew had their minds on other things - they seemed extremely grateful for direct MAY - as the previous R/T exchange was how impressed we were that they could get a 1-11 to fly non-stop from the Canaries (although Porto Santo rings a bell) to Gatwick in the first place. I guess it was an empty leg at the beginning of the season....

simon niceguy
17th Jan 2003, 09:06
Cavemonster

.........They didn't understand what I was on about.

Even we didn't know what you were on about in those days and we had to sit alongside you working the kites !!

Simon.

:) :)

Hydroforming Bushmaster
17th Jan 2003, 09:34
Mr_Grubby

I'm waiting for the postman.....ta!!

Yes I've been reading the same book by Rob Sawyer; for those wondering what we're talking about I've found a URL

mysite.freeserve.com/notesfromasmallmind/index.jhtml

HB

gawbc
27th Jan 2003, 08:03
Dear All

It is me the aforementioned Rob Sawyer here - thanks for your kind comments and I am glad you enjoyed the book. In my memory I only recall the BCAL ones beeping but I guess I had given up spotting by the time they were sold to Dan Dare. As for Courtline - how did they ever get away with those colours? In my book in the same part I mention 'Iberia 344' or as the pilot would say 'Arrrbiiriaa free fohr fohr' did you ever control him, and does he still exist - he was like an old friend when I stood outside in the evening like a saddo - I think he was IB551 back to Madrid. And those arrogant yanks 'London the Clipper 55' - I could go on for ages - sorry I already did, but it was a fun time for me even if I had to wear an anorak. Have a look at www.anglo-aviation.com and tell me if you ever controlled this one - probably on London Info. Best regards Rob Sawyer

Lump Jockey
29th Jan 2003, 16:14
Perhaps the pilots had squeaky clown noses on or something?!:p :D

Buster the Bear
29th Jan 2003, 20:08
As a baby bear, I remember the Germanair, Court Line, Bavaria and the tiny Dan-Air 1-11's all going BEEP at the end of each flight deck transmission whilst listening on my hand held Sharp radio. Was a bit difficult tuning in as my paws were very large and furry compared to the size of the radio!

gawbc
30th Jan 2003, 12:02
Sharp eh baby bear? You must have been a rich bear indeed - I had to suffer an Oscar Mirage from Exchange and Mart!

atb1943
1st Feb 2003, 10:40
Remember the Gauers? Think they were Swiss. Anyone with a Gauers was held in great esteem. I had one of those pen things that looked a bit like a roman candle where you were lucky to lock onto anything at all.
When I went to the USA in '79 I ordered a Sony Air 8 from Sporty's and it was there for me at the hotel in Denver. I still have it, and switch between r/t and Radio FFH at breakfast. A Yupi travels with me now due to its low weight and clarity.

I shall ask my pocket-rocket flying friend Roger if he knows about the beep.

Headline: The Beep gets free transfer to Nigeria

cheers