PDA

View Full Version : flying N-reg aircraft on a CAA licence

bird on the wire
15th Jan 2003, 21:12
I'm thinking of starting a group on a N-reg Beech bonanza and need the current requirements to obtain the FAA validation certificate for a CAA/JAR licence

Can anyone help?:confused:

StrateandLevel
15th Jan 2003, 22:53
According to FAR-AIM you can fly an N Reg aircraft in a foreign country on a licence issued by that country. You can't take it out of the country! So as long as you stay in UK no validation is required.

If you want to fly it outside the UK You will have to go to the USA to get a FAA Certificate issued on the basis of a UK/JAA Licence.

Julian
16th Jan 2003, 07:13
Or take the FAA writtens and flight test here in the UK.

FlyingForFun
16th Jan 2003, 08:06
I know you can apply for the FAA license based on a foreign license from here, and nominate somewhere in the US to pick it up from.... but do you need to pick it up in person? I wonder if it would be possible for a friend in the US to pick it up for you and mail it to you? Or if you don't know anyone out there, I'm sure you could persuade a friendly PPRuNer to do it for you...

(Of course if you have to pick it up in person this idea is a non-starter - but then you have an excuse to go over to the US for a holiday. Oh, and you might as well get a few hours' flying in while you're there!)

Once you've got your license, you'll need to find an FAA instructor (there are a few in the UK if you look hard enough) to do an initial BFR, and another one every two years.

FFF
-------------

englishal
16th Jan 2003, 08:24
there are a few in the UK
There are LOTS in the UK, judging by the number of Brits teaching the FAA stuff over in the US.....:D

andrewc
16th Jan 2003, 12:44
Having just done this thing, I believe that you have
to turn up in person.

-- Andrew

Flyboy-F33
16th Jan 2003, 13:28
You may find the regs for running a group are slightly different for an N reg aircraft. You should check up on FAR part 91 operating proceedures as it may fall under part 135 which is a whole different ball-game.