PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for FI's

RobinHood
13th Jan 2003, 10:44
Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of an insurance company who can provide me with the appropriate cover for operating as a Flying Instructor.

I was slightly surprised to find out that with most schools (where FI's are "Self employed") the aircraft and students are covered but the instructor isn't.:eek:

Hanger from Pans
15th Jan 2003, 18:22
If I'm not mistaken, by having club membership you are then covered under the isurance of the club.

You'll probably find that a student/public must be a club member before they go flying with that club even if it is for one day.

When I go flying with friends they have to fill in a form, which makes them a member for that day only. Something to do with insurance, I've been told but can't unfortunately tell you the ins and out of it.

I'm sure there are others out there that'll know more.

Good luck

-------------------------------

Life is not BANANAS !

cessnababe
18th Jan 2003, 21:17
as an employed instructor you should be covered for your third party and legal liabilities through the club or school insurance. What you are not covered for is your own personal injury or death. It is normal for crew to be excluded from an aviation policy so what you need to cover yourself for is personal injury. It might be worth getting a "critical injury policy" which are readily available through many companies. For a monthly fee you can get cover which will pay out a lump sum if you get ill or injured and cannot work for a few months.

If you are self employed you may find you are not covered automatically for legal liabilities so insist that the club includes you in their policy before you start working for them, as it is hard to find this kind of cover on an individiual basis.