PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Required flying JER - LGW (BA)

Michael111
12th Jan 2003, 20:35
Good Evening all

Flying with a client tomorrow (10:00 dept) JER - LGW. The chap I am flying with tomorrow commented that he was at Jersey Airport today (Sunday) and the LGW flight came in and went off again without taking on extra fuel. He was wondering how much fuel is uesd for this trip and also is it the same Aircraft that goes back and forward all day, filling up once in the morning?

I commented that I was unsure but I may have an answer for him tomorrow.... Any replies will be well received.

Thanks

Michael

Capt Pit Bull
12th Jan 2003, 21:36
Fuel costs a shedload on the Channel Islands, so it is cheaper to take round trip fuel whenever going there. The minor additional fuel burn is not much of an issue because the sector is so short, and the price penalty so bad, but you wouldn't take fuel for more than 1 return trip apart from fairly unusual circumstances.

The fuel burn would depend on the type, and several different types could conceivably serve that route at present (ATR, RJ-100, B737).

It wouldn't generally be the same aircraft going backwards and forwards all day, but several different aircraft handling the different rotations, plus other routes before / after.

CPB

Michael111
12th Jan 2003, 21:48
CPB

Thanks for the reply.

I Think it is a 737 that is schedualed to operate the service. I have nor seen the RJ 100s for a while and the last time I was on an ATR was a Sunday afternoon service (all BA). Come to think of it, none of these took fuel on board in Jersey.

Cheers

Michael

Sink Rate
14th Jan 2003, 15:48
We normally tanker fuel on a flight to Jersey, although because of the performance considerations of the short runway at Jersey it is sometimes not possible (Boeing 737).

I happened to fly a LGW-JER-LGW a few days ago.

Fuel burnt on way to JER was 1400Kg, on way back 1600Kg.

We obviously carry a lot more than that for contingencies, diversion fuel, taxi fuel and our reserve fuel that we plan to never ever use unless things really aren't going our way.

The fuel we carried for the JER-LGW sector was 4400Kg, well up on the basic 1600Kg flight fuel!

(these figures are for a half load of pax on a 737-500);)

foghorn
15th Jan 2003, 21:07
Just had to add that, being GA pilot, I love filling up in the Channel Islands.

This is because AVGAS is dirt cheap as there is no fuel duty or VAT to pay (27.34 pence per litre and then 17.5%).

I don't need quite so much as the big boys above either ;)