PDA

View Full Version : Pax and baggage on different flights improves safety?

flybonanza
11th Jan 2003, 15:50
I recently heard that this new reg requiring all checked bags to also go through screening has caused hundreds of bags missing their intended flights at numerous airports in Europe. The bags are then sent on later flights to their intended destination. This happened to my friend departing LHR this week. The bags did not arrive in the next 2 days.

The idea of this reg was to increase safety. It seems the old system was safer, as then the pax and bags were on the same flight. Now this is no more the case in hundreds of cases every day.

Seems the present trend to see terrorist around every corner is making flight travel all the less attractive for pax. This in turn will cause our airlines to get into trouble and we lose jobs.

Av8rMarc
11th Jan 2003, 21:05
flyb,

I agree that this new bag screening is creating an undue amount of inconvenience, at least until they get things streamlined. Arguing for bag matching to passengers on the same flight is not going to get anywhere, however, as suicidal terrorists don't care if they go down with the plane.

BlueEagle
11th Jan 2003, 21:09
Have to agree with you, pax on one aircraft and bags on another is exactly the opposite of what the regulations require.

As you probably know, the idea was that no pax would board an aircraft with their own bag if it contained a bomb - this theory is not so sound now that we have reached the age of the suicide bomber. That is where the adequate screening comes in that seems to be causing the delays in Europe, (I must say that in Singapore, where screening has been the order of the day for a long time, no delays are caused by it!). One wonders if there is a little bit of industrial muscle being used in Europe to secure more pay? Just an idea.

Delayed bags do, of course, have to go through their own screening process anyway and in some cases have to be held in a secure area for twenty four hours!

FWA NATCA
12th Jan 2003, 20:06
My past three flights that I have taken I've been offered money and or free tickets in addition to the next flight. Each time my luggage was on the origional flight and waiting for me at the baggage claims office.

So much for matching each bag with each passengers.

Mike

Lu Zuckerman
12th Jan 2003, 20:39
I don’t know if they still do it this way but in 1976 I made two trips to Israel. One night prior to departure you took your baggage to a central office near all of the big hotels and you left your baggage there. During the night it was fully inspected by hand and Mk 1 eyeball. The baggage was then taken to the airport and the next time you saw it was when you reached your destination. Any carry on baggage was thoroughly inspected at the security checkpoint.

:)

Frosty Hoar
16th Jan 2003, 03:45
So what were saying is that we dare not increase security as it may irritate the passengers and consequently reduce revenue - if we had sorted out security in the first place then 911 and its side effects may just not have happened.

Out Of Trim
23rd Jan 2003, 21:08
Sorry - No, I don't agree

I Don't know about the rest of Europe, but 100% screening of hold baggage in the UK has been carried out for two or three years now!

Whatever occurred recently at LHR had nothing to do with this..

Perhaps just a machinery breakdown?:confused: